Chicago - any recommendations pls ?

GreatDane

Hi

Considering Chicago for a holiday, anyone been there & able to comment (good or bad) ?

All tips much appreciated (well, they certainly were anytime I went elsewhere in the USA thats for sure ... problem was, I was giving the tips, not receiving them ;))

Cheers

G>
http://www.rpoints.com/newbie

the cheesecake factory and the grill are two good places to eat, both at the hancock centre, I like it, but there is less to it than new york, once you get off the main "strip"

Hi, I

We visited Chicago for a week last year..Had a lovely time. We stayed in Fitzpatricks Hotel just off Michigan Avenue. Posters on this site recommended it and we certainly were not disappointed - Superb location, Good service and value.. (consider a parlour suite). Transport services are excellent in Chicago as are shopping, restaurants and sightseeing.

Enjoy!

Chicago is a brilliant city- I lived there for a few months and absolutely loved it.

Depending on the time of year you go the city hosts many different sports- I'd definately reccommend a visit to the friendly confines of Wriggley field home of the Cubs (they're not having a very good season so far- that darn Billy Goat Curse- a few years left- so legend says). If you visit after September Football Season will have kicked off and Sundays are Football crazy.

Navy Pier is set up for the tourists but worth a visit- the planetarium is close by and there are various water attractions- the sea dog one of the more amusing or you could do a guided boat tour to adrmire the fantastic architecture. The Art Institute on Michigan Avenue is great and houses classics such as American Gothic and Nighthawkes.

As with most big cities there is a Chinatown- easily accessible thanks to the 'L' the elevated train network which is great- the CTA (Chicago Travel Agency) sell good value tickets valid for prescribed period on both trains & Buses- I particularly like the fact that each bus is assigned to one street so its harder to get lost!

Chicago is famous for the Blues so thats a must and the Gin Mill pub is said to be the original hangout for Al Capone.

Chicago is the home of Charlie Trotters Restaurant and other famous eateries include TRU and Wolfgang Pucks. There are all the usual well known hotels, most expensive along Michigan Avenue where the serious shopping takes place. The nightlife is great 4am every night except saturday which switches to 5am and there really is great variety.

I didn't make it to the zoo on my last stay but I'm planning a return and plan to visit the Lincoln park zoo.
There's so much more I could waffle on about but my final piece of advice is book now; its a fab city!

Yes great city although its been a few years since I was there. Maybe *questions* will know the name of the diner we went to one night. It prides itself on rudeness, the waiting staff are rude and will shout across the room "hey fatman/baldy - do you want fries with that" etc etc. Everything about the place was designed around the rudeness. Good fun tho' - but the name escapes me.

I second everything *questions* said - I spent a good part of a year there and it's a great city. You can also go up the Sears Tower which is the tallest building in the US but personally I would go up the John Hancock Tower which is the third tallest in Chicago and has a bar and restaraunt at the top. If you do stay in Fitzpatrick's the Hancock is around the corner (the cheesecake factory mentioned above is on the ground floor). To go up the Hancock don't go in the front door where it's $10 or $15 - use the door into the lobby around the right side of the tower as it's free to go to the bar.

The zoo in Lincoln Park is fine and is a short taxi from the center so worth a visit if you like.

The choice of places to eat is huge. They make a big thing of the pizzeria where the original deep dish pizza was invented (Pizza Uno I think it's called). Queues of tourists out the door so I would question how good a pizza would be to warrant that!

A baseball game in Wrigley Field is definetly worth a visit (unless sports turns you cold) - it helps if you understand the basics of the game but is still enjoyable along with the beers and hotdogs etc.

Or you could just rent Ferris Bueler's Day Off and do everything Ferris did!

Hi

Many thanks to everyone for the tips

Ferris Bueler was based in Chicago ? (eh, doubt very much they'd want me singing in their parade to be honest ;))

Any comments on nightlife btw ?
- good bars, clubs, movies, shows etc ?

Thanks again

G>
http://www.rpoints.com/newbie

If you're bringing children the aquarium is worth a visit. Opposite it is the natural history museum which has one of the most complete Trex heads in the world. The museum of Science(a bit further out the lake) has at present a facinating exibit of human dissections that older kids will love.
As mentioned the John Hankock tower is worth a visit(Chicago is the home of the skyscraper).
Avoid chicago style dip dish pizza and pizzarias. Avoid all the Starbucks. Instead drop into L'Appetito, an Italian deli at the base of the John Hancock tower beside the Cheesecake factory.
I was very disappointed a number of years ago when I went looking for Chicago Blues sytle music(better choice in Dublin). I have no idea what the music scene is now.
You can find excellent theatre at the Steppenwolf but I have no idea what is playing now.(www.steppenwolf.org/).
I can make some recommendations on resturants if you like. I've been there a No. of times on business.
Regards
Tyoung

If you don't have too much luggage take the rail link.from O'Hare. It goes right downtown. Beaware the AL flight lands at rush hour and a taxi to down town will take an hour and cost around 40 to 50 dollars.
Restaurants
If somebody else is paying or money is no object and you really want to impress the wife/girlfiend and you are into food as art, go to True. The food is wonderful but the cathedrallike silence and the intensity of the staff intimidated me.
My favourite restaurant is Blackbird on West Randolf Street. It is more informal . The food is excellent but it's more lively with a good bar. Along the same lines is Bin 36. A younger crowd, lively bar, an excellent cheeseboard.
Sorry i can't help with clubs or nightlife.
Regards
tyoung

Back