Cheque made out to non trading business: how do I cash it?

Froggie

My business stopped trading in 2006 and is all but wound-up at this point in time.
The Tax man has sent me a refund cheque made out to my business name i.e. "X+Y Surname Ltd".
I had to close the business bank account because the bank charges were fleecing us.
Can I just lodge the cheque into my personal bank account.
The ammount is about €4000, I am owed over €60,000 from the company due to directors loans.

I wouldn't expect you to be able to lodge a cheque made to a business to a personnal account, especially if it is crossed 'A/c only'. So no.

Not sure what you can do. Does the business owe money to anyone else?.. if not and it wound up 'peacefully' (not sure of legal term).. you could try and get Revenue to re-issue the cheque to you in your name if you are an outstanding creditor. Or maybe re-open the business account which may be difficult or impossible.

Is a directors loan money that you, as a director, lent to the company?

I don't fully understand what has happened?... the Revenue owe money to the business.. which is gone. But if it was a genuine overpayment to revenue, and the business closed with no debts.. then it does seem unfair that you cannot get the money. If the business has debts then it is even more important that the money is used to pay off any outstanding creditors. So I don't know what's up...

Joe, yes I am owed money from the company (no one else is owed anything) due to loans that I as a director made to the company, well it was actually a re mortgage but thats beside the point. I will see if the revenue will reissue the cheque in my name. Thanks.

Could you open a new company bank account for two weeks to lodge money, allow it clear and redraw the money and close account. cant see bank charges been much for 2 weeks.

Just open a deposit acount and remove it in cash when the cheque clears.
Providing all of the usual paperwork is still in place and assuming you are still on the CRO list (not struck off yet) you should have no problems.

i have the same problem, can you tell me how to cash that cheque?

Back