Checked in a bag on RYR, might not need it

4th estate

Ok, I have checked in a bag for the return journey only. Would there be an international security incident if I don't need to put the bag in the hold and use hand luggage only!

I'm not concerned about getting any refund, just curious as to the protocol regarding not checking in a bag when it is indicated on the boarding pass. I suppose if you don't go to bag and tag it will be OK.

Anyone had experience of this scenario with Ryanair?

I recently checked in a bag online for a return journey with Ryan Air and I had no problems at all. You cant carry it on as hand luggage if it is over the 10 or 15kg allowance.

On your boarding pass it will say
Bag 0 - 0 checked bag
Bag 1 - 1st checked bag (and the KG)

Thanks Marietta, maybe I should have made my point a bit more clear....

On the outward journey I will have cabin bag only. On the return I have booked in a bag but may not need it, therefore, although I will have a checked bag on my boarding pass, I will only have a cabin bag. In other words, I will not be checking in the bag I paid for.

I suppose I just wondered might this cause a security problem. Am not worried about getting any refund or anything.

I dont know the answer to your question, you could try calling Ryanair though I think it is expensive to do that. I did get through on this landline number about a year or so ago dont know if it is still valid 01 8121212. It is a nuisance they dont provide an email address to answer queries like this.

I don't think it will make any difference as it will only register the bag once it is actually checked in just like you book a flight and don't attend to fly. I wouldn't worry about it and on the day of travelling back if your not checking in the bag you could mention it to the staff on the ground.

Thanks all for taking the time to help. I think I'll chance it and hope that by not checking in the bag Ryanair won't care!!

hi 4th estate,I checked in 12 bags going out and return on a trip to germany for a group trip that i organised.I left my bag behind me on the train from the airport to the city we were staying in.Obviously only 11 bags were put through coming back,if you paid for a service you are not going to avail of it is not an issue for them.It is best to inform staff on the ground as already mentioned if it puts your mind at ease,but it will probably mean nothing to them anyway.

Back