Health Insurance cheapest insurance for adult a one child

laura nolan

hi I took out a basic plan( net one with glohealth )last April now I want to upgrade to a better plan for myself and son I need public and private cover in some high tech hospital don't need maternity cover as im 51 what is the best plan to suit my needs, son needs the same public and high tech not too concerned about gp cover unless there is a plan that incorporates all at a reasonable price also if I change companies will I have waiting period

Hi laura nolan,

Welcome to AAM. The best priced individual child's plan at the moment is 'VHI One Plan Family' price 138pa.
Full hospital cover including all public, private and hi-tech. No day to day gp cover.
Note; your son can be with VHI while you can choose a different provider if it suits. You(adult) are just named on the policy but only he is insured.

[broken link removed]

For yourself, I'm not sure what price range you have in mind but there are a few options to consider. Laya Healthcare are most competitive pricewise for plans including private and hi-tech hospital cover at the moment. The following plans are worth checking out, prices increase as
excess levels fall. Hospital cover is the same for all plans, the only difference is the hospital excess payable if you are admitted to a private or hi-tech hospital or as a day case patient.
Note; A further 10% discount applies to new customers if you buy online at the moment, on plans 1 to 4. Prices below are full price.

1. Flex 500 Explore; price 661pa public, private and hi-tech hospital cover. 500 excess per admission,150 per day case.

2. Flex 375 Explore; price 750pa, public, private and hi-tech hospital cover. 375 excess per admission, 125 per day case.

3. Flex 250 Explore; price 854pa, public, private and hi-tech hospital cover, 250 excess per admission, 100 per day case.

4. Flex 175 Explore; price 988pa, public, private and hi-tech hospital cover, 175 excess per admission, 75 per day case.

5. Simply Connect; price 1063pa; public, private and hi-tech hospital cover, 150 x 2 max excess per year for admissions, 50 per day case,
good day to day gp cover etc, max refund per year 300 per person.

[broken link removed]

There's a good selection to choose from according to your budget.

Regards, Snowyb

hi snowyb
im going to go for simply connect as it seems very good value but before I apply on line I want to know if I will have a waiting period since im changing company and does it cover heart, cancer and hip operations (if they did not pre-exist )straight away
thanks so much your a well of information

The upgrade waiting time with Laya is 2 years but it only applies to any pre-existing conditions. New illnesses arising after the switch are covered
straight away, no waiting. These illnesses include heart, cancer and hip operations.
The plan you are on at the moment covers just public hospital cover. So, you are upgrading to a plan that also covers all private and hi-tech hospitals.
Useful information on the Health Insurance Authority website as follows;
http://www.hia.ie/consumer-information/switchingupgrade-waiting-periods

Simply Connect is a good choice that ticks all the boxes, I am on that plan myself at the moment.

Regards, Snowyb

Back