Cheapest Electricity Supplier

@ROS
The Bord Gais equivalent from 9th November will be (after 15% discount for signing up to contract):

24hr UrbanInc VAT
24Hr Unit Rate34.62 cent/kWh
Urban Standing Charge€237.54 Annually

Their main page hasn't been updated until rates become effective, but you can find them here:

It depends on your usage. A high cash incentive can be the best deal for you if your usage is low. It's important to look at the 3 factors in any deal of cashback, unit rate and standing charge.
True for low users alright, but a lower standing charge and having suppliers compete on rates rather than seeking to confuse consumers would be better overall.

That is fairly low, my last bill was 276kw for two month bill but that is with serious economising and in summer! If I want to do a bit of baking or whatever it fairly climbs! I also have a radon fan that uses 1kw per day so can't get rid of that cost!
I live alone & don't watch that much tv, so I really don't consume that much. Its a very similar level of consumption to what I used when I lived in a small 1 bedroomed apartment. I have to use an immersion heater for hot water so I upgraded the (also broken) immersion timer to a modern digital equivalent & it suggests I consume around 50-60kwh per month on that alone.

I never got a better offer from Bord Gais than the 8% discount referred to above so I'm still with SSE Airtricity whose rates are as follows , for the benefit of anyone thinking of switching to them.

I have a Smart meter but am sticking with a 24 hr tariff.

20% discount on standard rates for switching to SSE so 38.6 c/kwh

Further 12% reduction from November 1st so reduces to 33.968 c/kwh

Above includes VAT as does the standing charge of €240.97
I was hoping for better than the miserable 10% but nothing was forthcoming so I switched.

Most 43"+ are G rated though? I assumed it was chewing through electricity when on?
Depends on the wattage but it's almost certainly a minuscule cost compared to other household devices/appliances.

At a glance a 43" TV is probably c. 40-50W while in use. Similar to a standard old style tungsten filament light bulb in terms of energy usage. c. 1 kWh unit if you used it all day and night.

Last edited:
Depends on the wattage but it's almost certainly a minuscule cost compared to other household devices/appliances.
See here - typical 43" uses around 50w per hour. So if you have it on 6 hours per day that's around 110kw per year. That's just for 1 tv. Most homes have 2 or more. If you are a heavy tv watching family with a large screen (77w per hour) for 12hrs per day it will consume 338kw per year.

Electric showers are the single biggest consumer of electricity in the average household, (a non heatpump/non EV household), and gets even higher as house numbers increase.

newish washing machines, dishwashers and tumble dryers are very low in comparison to an electric shower, its one of the reasons i got rid of ours. We also got rid of the electric kettle another big user of electricity, we use gas for that now.

Last edited:
We also got rid of the electric kettle another big user of electricity, we use gas for that now.
Note that most of the energy consumed when using a gas hob is lost to the room so while gas is cheaper per kWh delivered, the cost of boiling water is actually very similar. Factor in the risk of leaving water on a rolling boil rather then the auto-switch off a modern kettle offers and you may actually be spending more.

Reducing the water in an electric kettle to just what you need would make a far bigger difference and would eliminate the air pollution issues associated with burning gas indoors.

Factor in the risk of leaving water on a rolling boil rather then the auto-switch off a modern kettle offers and you may actually be spending more.
It is a whistling model ! So, that never happens.

We prefer gas, for all cooking.

It is a whistling model ! So, that never happens.

We prefer gas, for all cooking.
Have you tried induction? All the controlability that made gas so popular, none of the wasted hear or localised air pollution poisoning your family. Oh, and cheaper too if you're into that :D

Electric showers are the single biggest consumer of electricity in the average household, (a non heatpump/non EV household), and gets even higher as house numbers increase.

newish washing machines, dishwashers and tumble dryers are very low in comparison to an electric shower, its one of the reasons i got rid of ours. We also got rid of the electric kettle another big user of electricity, we use gas for that now.
This is true - but only for power showers, if the electricity is just power a pump rather than heating water, its not quite so expensive.

This is true - but only for power showers, if the electricity is just power a pump rather than heating water, its not quite so expensive.
We got in a pressurised system about 13 years ago, we have good water pressure, no noisy pumps, and zero electricity required for showering, only hot water in the tank is needed.

I live alone & don't watch that much tv, so I really don't consume that much. Its a very similar level of consumption to what I used when I lived in a small 1 bedroomed apartment. I have to use an immersion heater for hot water so I upgraded the (also broken) immersion timer to a modern digital equivalent & it suggests I consume around 50-60kwh per month on that alone.
Immersion element is 3,000w, 30-40 min a day would consume 50kwh.
Most cookers are 2200-2500, so a roast chicken with take near 4kwh.

Kettles, hair dryers, tumble dryers are the other heavy users.

TV (as others have said) are quite low. 50w-100w per hour depending on size. When in standby, the use is negligible.

See here - typical 43" uses around 50w per hour. So if you have it on 6 hours per day that's around 110kw per year.
So €45-ish per year for someone watching TV every moment they are not asleep or at work. That’s not very much.

Most people will spend more on the TV itself than they will on powering it for its lifetime.

The biggest drains on household electricity are via heating space and in particular water.

I was hoping for better than the miserable 10% but nothing was forthcoming so I switched.
And then they phoned me and offered 20% off, which offset the savings from Yuno, so I've stayed with SSE Airtricity. Seems you actually need to basically tell them you are going before they'll do this. Had to talk to Yuno to back out and they said they are hearing this a lot.

And then they phoned me and offered 20% off, which offset the savings from Yuno, so I've stayed with SSE Airtricity. Seems you actually need to basically tell them you are going before they'll do this. Had to talk to Yuno to back out and they said they are hearing this a lot.
It is a deliberate thing from SSE Airtricity to only increase the discount to 20% once someone has initiated the switcher process - too many people reporting the same thing for it to be otherwise.

Back