cheaper calls to UK from Ireland

londonite

Ouir eircom phone bill is very expensive, about €150 per month. Analysing it, the main cost is about €60 of calls to UK landlines and mobiles. Could anyone recommend any way of reducing this cost? We used to have a swiftcall a/c when in the UK which was brilliant £20 fixed fee every month for unlimited calls to Irish landlines. I would be very grateful for any advice. Thank you.

If you have broadband they you can use skype. Get Europe unlimited subscription for €5 a month. unlimited landline calls to 20 european countries.

[broken link removed]

skype uk mobile costs here:

VAT ex VAT inc
[broken link removed] €0,205 €0,235 [broken link removed] €0,205 €0,235 [broken link removed] €0,205 €0,235 [broken link removed] €0,205 €0,235 [broken link removed] €0,205 €0,235 [broken link removed] €0,205 €0,235

of course if the people that you calling had skype also then it would be free :)

Last edited:
I've been using [broken link removed] for a couple of years and find the service excellent

I spend several hours a month on conference calls to UK, Germany and Finland and my monthly bill is usually between €10 and €15

Hi,
my telephone and broadband is with Talk Talk here in ROI as is my parents and other friends , family etc in the UK. We all therefore get free calls to each other. I was going to go down the Skype route but not everyone I called had access to pc. My bills tend to be around €48 pm.

You misunderstand the point about skype. Skype can be used to call non-skype landlines and mobiles.

Another possible option : buy a meteor RTG sim card for relative in UK, opt for free meteor to meteor call plan (€20 / month on RTG) on your Irish mobile - if user in uk selects T-Mobile network incoming calls from meteor are free (Meteor and T-Mobile have a roaming agreement).
I think this works ok once the uk sim is used only for incoming.

Thanks for all of your advice. I still have not fdound the ideal solution. Skype is not really the cheapest options in our instance as most calls to UK are to non SKYPE landlines so realtively costly. I have found irish swiftcall website (international plus option) good as for €5.99 a month you get 300 minutes of calls free to UK landlines per month. The problem is we find we are using up the 300 minutes by about 2 weeks into the month! If anyone comes across any other similar service with a higher number of free minutes, even if you have to pay a bit more than the €5.99, I would love to knows about it. many thanks for all your replies.

You can dial 0818 998 998 before you dial your international number and you will be charged the same as a national call.

Why would the Skype calls to UK landlines be more expensive?

The product for skype to skype is free - but forget this not relevant in yr case

you are calling from skype to a uk landline - the cost here is €5.99 per month for unlimited calls to 20 euro countries as mentioned above.

I call UK landlines with this service at no additional cost than my monthly 5.99 - its unlimited so far as I know

Paddy

The landlines are easy, change call provider to UTV, giving you free calls in Britain and Ireland, either evenings/weekends or all day for an extra €8 or so.
Mobiles are not so easy, if you call a particular mobile in Britain then you could work on that in various ways, you'd need to identify the service involved.

Back