Cheap or free way to use Skype on an iphone

Bubbly Scot

I've been tasked with connecting up to a member of our group via skype. On the trial run I was notified that I might be charged for data used, this is when I'm away from home.

Is there a free or cheap way to connect? it would be 8/16 hours a month which my data package most definately won't cover.

I doubt I would get approval to spend money on this (it's a music group) but even if there was an option that cost, if someone could suggest it I can at least bring the info back.

I'm on o2, others in the group might be on Vodaphone with iphones. I'm worried about racking up a huge bill I'd get stuck with.

Have you checked with your mobile provider.
they have different charges for data romaing.
Maybe there are data roaming packages available

Go to a free wifi hotspot connect to it and then use skype no problem as you are using there data download limit.

You would need to find wi-fi "hotspots" where you will get internet connection for free.

A lot of hotels have it. And Mcdonalds!

Can't see MacDonalds etc. allowing a pipe band to practice on the premises but a nice idea all the same. :cool:

I've dug further and remembered a friend in the know that I asked as well. Apparently my current 2G data allowance will allow me to do what I need. I don't mind using that up since I don't go near the limit.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Check out the details of your data plan, some don't allow Skype.

Go to 3. All the data you can eat!! The fair usage kicks in at 15GB which is a lorra lorra data.

Do you have internet access at home?

if so you can buy a a wireless internet router and create your own wifi hotspot (with blackjack and hookers if you wish!) they wouldn't that dear to buy secondhand if you were stuck for the money.

Back