Cheap house insurance

Tessi

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has managed to get a reasonable quote for their house insurance. I have been with the same insurer and have never claimed in the five years. I am also not in an area where it could flood etc. My quote just seems to go up every year and I really can't afford it now as I'm unemployed. I guess its not wise not to insure but I am considering it. Any advice welcome?

You might be best asking a Broker to trawl the market. 123.ie are now part of RSA Insurance and any quote from them would be specific to one single Insurance Company. Have you tried to lower the Insurable amount in line with the overall economy and the reduced re building costs.

OP as Mercman said check the numbers - guide to rebuild cost [broken link removed]. Also if you opt for a higher excess you will probably see a reduction in premium and many insurers now let you pay by the month, though it might cost you a bit more overall than paying upfront.

I second Getcover.ie

I have been with 123.ie and it had been the cheapest up until this year when the quote went up by over 150. Following a phonecall they knocked 100 off it but getcover were still cheaper by another 60 for slightly better cover.

Without turning this thread into fiasco, the names already mentioned are all BROKERS. Brokers do not write Insurance and act as middlemen for the Insurance Companies and receive a commission for the business that they bring to the Insurance Companies. It really is all down to numbers and percentages of same at the end of the day.

I 'third' Getcover.ie

Just renewed with them. I can't believe the disparity of quotes from different providers....

Beyond that... I couldn't believe the disparity in quotes from the same companies compared with what my neighbours pay. I know there's discounts for longterm and multiple product customers etc but the differences were up to 100% more.

Back