Cheap garden

Pope John 11

All,

I am in the middle of doing up a garden 5x2m to the front of our house. I am trying to do it as cheap as possible.

I have already made 3 planter boxes out of waste plywood and painted them black. 625x625x 410dp. Any suggestions how to raise these up to at least 6ft off the ground.

I was looking to put a U planter bed around the edges and use sleepers to border it. The cost of the sleepers is €17.99, 2.4 x0.1x0.2m. Any suggestions of a cheaper alternative or where I could buy cheap scaffolding boards.

Also looking to use carpet under some stone called lite stone. I have been told not to use carpet as it will break down over time. The problem is it is only 10m2 and buying a large roll of weed preventer layer would not be of any benefit. The stone is €100 for a tonne. I am estimating that I would use a tonne but need to do a calculation.

Personally I start slow and spend what ever money you have wisely. Avoid any quick/cheap fixes as you'll only spend time/money replacing them again.

We have a very large garden and we used peagravel for our beds as they far cheap than the stone chips (although not as nice!).

Check Jumbletown and the likes for free items.

Why do you say weed control fabric wouldn't be of any benefit? You should be able to pick up that amount for €10-15. Don't use carpet, it will break down over time, but in the meantime will affect drainage and you'll have damp problems.

Those planters could be very, very heavy. That volume of water would weight 160kg. Topsoil is heavier than water, peat lighter. So you'll need a very sturdy structure to hang them from, or a very stable plinth.

Back