Cheap City Breaks

Fafe, Portugal-

The most affordable city in Portugal is the beautiful Fafe according to :

express.co.uk/travel/articles/1834418/cheapest-city-Portugal-Fafe

Prague is probably a bit too generic for some people but if you are into shooting there is a class range there called Top Gun (how original) they will come and pick you up from your hotel and drop you back. Really good selection of guns, they take no messers, very professional, a cold beer and a sandwich are provided afterwards.

Also if you are in Rome and are looking for the best views of the Trevi fountain, go searching for the Trevirooftop (instagram handle)
If you stand in front of the fountain, look up behind your right should up to the top of the buildings, you will see a little rooftop bar.

If you go to the door below it, you will see a corridor leading to a lift that will take you up to it - lads if you get there early 10am - you can get the place to yourself for a very intimate proposal overlooking the fountain with no interruptions ;)
Was in Rome last month for the first time. I thought it was expensive and one or two restaraunts are a complete rip off. Still, phenomenal history and every bit of it within walking distance

Fafe, Portugal-

The most affordable city in Portugal is the beautiful Fafe according to :

express.co.uk/travel/articles/1834418/cheapest-city-Portugal-Fafe
I'd go for Obidos - wonderful old town, close to the coast and 4 golf courses and about an hour from Lisbon airport. Caldas da Rainha is the closest city/large town.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Óbidos,_Portugal

Well priced hotels and cheap flights to Lisbon. Public transport from airport to main Lisbon bus station and then express bus to Obidos.

If a book lover, The Literary Man hotel/restaurant is a must visit

In Spain, these 5, less travelled to places, are all relatively cheap to stay, eat & drink:

I would say, my favourite of these, is probably Seville, but avoid, due to severe heat from June To September, it regularly exceeds 40 C during these months, its an extraordinary place.

Direct Flights:

Santiago de Compostela
Valencia
Seville

No direct flights, but a 2 hour train/bus from Malaga or 3 ish from Seville:

Granada

No direct flghts, but can go via London:

San Sebastian

I heard Cordoba (south)and Bilbao(north east), are also very impressive, but i have not been there yet !

Madrid & Malaga city, are more popular places i’ve been to, that were quite reasonable, Barcelona, not so much.

On my list, is a multi stop Spain holiday, eg Seville->Grenada->Cordoba->Malaga, in that order, or in reverse, as all very accessible, you’l be able to move from one to the other in 3 hours or less, by train or bus.
Was in Santiago for the end of my Camino in Sep22, Santiago is a destination in its own right, with or without the Camino

Seville us a beautiful city we spent three days there . Bilbao is another city we were in also and is a lovely city as is San Sebastian.
Hope to get to Santiago de Compostela next year after walking the last section of the Camino ..

Seville us a beautiful city we spent three days there . Bilbao is another city we were in also and is a lovely city as is San Sebastian.
Hope to get to Santiago de Compostela next year after walking the last section of the Camino ..
Joe, I have chronic back pain ever since that Camino, I have had two spinal injections so far this year and I do not think they have fixed it much. That said, the Camino was one of life's experiences and I do not regret it. I was in San Sebastian early summer last year too, you are right it is a beautiful city

Joe, I have chronic back pain ever since that Camino, I have had two spinal injections so far this year and I do not think they have fixed it much. That said, the Camino was one of life's experiences and I do not regret it. I was in San Sebastian early summer last year too, you are right it is a beautiful city
Sorry to hear about the back pain. How much of the Camino did you walk. We were thinking of the last section about April before it gets too hot and then spending a couple of days in Santiago de Compostela.

What did you do to hurt your back on the Camino, did you trip and fall over or something?

What did you do to hurt your back on the Camino, did you trip and fall over or something?
No, nothing dramatic like that, it was just "progressive degenerative wear on L2 to L5" as per the doctor reading the MRI about 8+ years ago. Then another MRI earlier this year called it "acute stenosis of L4". I know it as pre-existing condition but the pain really started after I came back from the Camino

No, nothing dramatic like that, it was just "progressive degenerative wear on L2 to L5" as per the doctor reading the MRI about 8+ years ago. Then another MRI earlier this year called it "acute stenosis of L4". I know it as pre-existing condition but the pain really started after I came back from the Camino
Oh right, did the doctor not warn of over exertion if you already had this back issue? There seem to be many conflicting advice regarding back pain, some say you need to exercise your way out of it, obviously that made it much worse in your case. Sorry if I'm being nosey and side tracking the thread

Oh right, did the doctor not warn of over exertion if you already had this back issue? There seem to be many conflicting advice regarding back pain, some say you need to exercise your way out of it, obviously that made it much worse in your case. Sorry if I'm being nosey and side tracking the thread
No medical discussions allowed here, but there's conflicting advice because all back pain is not down to a single cause/ issue. Different issues require different treatment. Everyone should seek competent medical advice on any concern they have so that their individual circumstances can be assessed and they don't end up trying some miracle cure some randomer on the internet suggested that will likely do more harm than good.

No medical discussions allowed here, but there's conflicting advice because all back pain is not down to a single cause/ issue. Different issues require different treatment. Everyone should seek competent medical advice on any concern they have so that their individual circumstances can be assessed and they don't end up trying some miracle cure some randomer on the internet suggested that will likely do more harm than good.
Don't think we were exchanging advice, more experiences

Just back from Turin - lovely place, great history, sights, great Italian food (affordable compared to Dublin, for example starter, 2 pizzas and a litre of house wine was just 35 euro).

Ryanair flies in and out of Turin perfectly timed for long weekend - out on Saturday early morning and back by Monday lunchtime. 30-40 mins bus ride from airport to centre of Turin (Porta Nuova). If staying longer than a weekend, there are a number of skii slopes in less than 2 hours travel by public transport.

My wife was in Annecy a few years ago and thought it was one of the nicest places she has ever been to.
I must be the only person who thought that Annecy was only O.K. The one photo that they show is of a relatively small place in Annecy.

Back