Chasing VHI for travel insurance..end of my tether.

G

Grizzly

Decided to go for the VHI annual travel Insurance. In previous years I have always used getcover.com. I am now regreting my decision to change.
Last week I was asured by the nice lady in the VHI that my policy would be set up in time for my holidays this week. After taking details over the phone plus credit card she said that she would mark the application urgent. Now here is where the problem lies. What might be "urgent" to you and I, means absolutely something different to the people in VHI.
I have noticed that I spend quite a lot of time chasing the VHI for one thing or another. Why should the simple exercise of purchasing travel insurance be simple for the VHI.
As of today. Still not set up. Sending someone to find my application.Will ring you back. Don't know what the delay is. Sorry, sorry, sorry. God forbid that they could have someone inputting details live as you speak to them on the phone.
Well I am sorry that I bothered with them in the first place. Be warned.

Administrative hassle (claims, billing, renewals, queries etc.) with VHI was one of the main reasons that I switched to BUPA a few years ago. The other was cost. I have found BUPAs administration (ditto - claims, billing, renewals, queries etc.) far better and their premium for similar levels of cover seem much more competitive. VHI's travel insurance does look cheap but if there's hassle arranging cover and perhaps processing claims it may not be good value. Yet again, it shows how insurance cover should be assessed on several criteria other than just price. I guess you've seen these links already?

and this Indo article (free registration required):

www.unison.ie/business/pe...si=1179511

It might be in the pile!!!

They just phoned me back to say that they cannot find my application and could I give them my credit card details again over the phone. I don't know about you but I don't like the fact that they have lost my credit card details especially considering that last November when I was renewing my health insurance policy "they also lost my cheque". This cheque has never surfaced and I had to send a replacement, stop the original cheque etc

Trying to get any type of explanation as to how lightening struck twice in my case I was told "that it was possibly in the pile" so don't worry. The pile? The mind boggles.

I wouldn't be inclined to give my personal or CC details to anybody who initiated a phone call to me! You can't be too careful. Apart from that it sounds like VHI are still as bad as ever on the administrative front... :|

I set it up 2 weeks ago over the web and received my cert in about a week. Got email in a day to confirm details received. Perhaps you should have gone the online route. Doesn't auger too well if I need to make a claim.

Back