Chasing the sun and the perfect road for cycling

A friend of mine sent me this from her front garden in Lubrin yesterday, a before and after the dust storm.

7sEUK0-CDmvM97vUfD4O5_RDOcQbtHkMsb1BUXebuwSBAfP4OcP-QQDfs6OGV8fSRZ-PT2r5rGpkItYcEwyR4wYSRldkEHcTyw-3jT7V5abTIRPO1xyr4h9OeBHijuBP6qLjfkFGBCy9Z5eyIfphqm5Z3ENyl_F_g57OMgS3Dzu22dilbPESBiUxftQTqTINCoq3-KgA6TPB6z-TM_FVxI0uvx_ySft2xN__GI7bzUJrgSJgaiKNX9xf62gdABsUAMG3pHHtsU6u8kfYbkIApzmaiVNNRzdVR52fe6Sp0yaO_G00taN85W7NB42ZaKpsgKG39iBcU4w6GIpdpq1fTz15TENjTRmK-qgdyvNiZz7wyLcxF_hSa4ez_UV2mSwDNUzN_nAurShS6jrRuGtseBeM3SBdS8iKVepd7vWgtnpoNBQEdv7gXWfJo_O9sp1jV6v5uUOCnhCcvf5uI74H-RkVU9b6eWy9jXJQ6UeUUxcMEaiDKzzycUgOe9bFJrLzEiRWeX-2l-YgcJLp0wnbP-AJNsoViQYu2tbAcLKnX6KxUeSYgGMJqIu4iF9MILGLCn6XX8h1k5UwJW9f9PGFR8rdslLjpZqoaG3E9ycVy3J2azeD_OhD0_L5XNkSSVTQco7Qt7O2LJgNwonCMaqZJgQqvLpSXJ0l7Yg5USRFjRzR7JiMUMK_QSMSjOInpVhiplNS_yYn5k681s8UDz7oIHr8=s929-no

You left too soon Cervelo

Spain Speaks - Stuart did a drive on Tuesday in Madrid where the place is covered with the Sahara sand

No image visible for me.
There was a sand storm in the Costa Almeria region a few days ago where sand was vigorously blown in from the Sahara Desert and the light was changed to an orange colour (great for pics). It happens occasionally and usually after we have washed down our terraces where a carpet of orange sand is left.

There was a sand storm in the Costa Almeria region a few days ago where sand was vigorously blown in from the Sahara Desert and the light was changed to an orange colour (great for pics). It happens occasionally and usually after we have washed down our terraces where a carpet of orange sand is left.
Apparently after the dust storm came the rain and somebody likened it to "A maze prison dirty protest" :oops:

One thing that really surprised about this trip was the supermarket shopping in relation to how expensive it is compared to home and the lack of variety and range of products compared to home.
Normally here our weeks shopping averages about 80 to 90 euro over there we couldn't seem to get it below €120
I wonder if Portugal would be any cheaper and a wider variety of produce available. We had a lovely holiday in Tavira a few years back and were able to cross over to the Spanish town of Ayamonte on a river ferry. Also inland Portugal such as Tomar or Coimbra?

I wonder if Portugal would be any cheaper and a wider variety of produce available. We had a lovely holiday in Tavira a few years back and were able to cross over to the Spanish town of Ayamonte on a river ferry. Also inland Portugal such as Tomar or Coimbra?
I probably should have clarified what I meant by "lack of variety". In Mojacar there are two main supermarkets Mercadona and Lidl both are very similar to each other in terms of the range of products they carry but unlike Lidl here it's a bit more basic, kind of like when Lidl first came here
But if you go to the bigger cities like Murcia and Almeria you find the bigger supermarkets like Carrefour which for want of a better comparison is like Walmart, they sell everything!!

The issue for me and something I will have to address is that since I met Mrs C I don't really cook anymore, so if I want a stir fry or a bolognaise I need a cook in sauce and Lidl/Mercadona don't stock these type of items really, even salad dressings are in very short supply
Oddly enough in the next town over Vera, there is an Iceland which I only discovered a couple of weeks before I left where I found Supervalu sausages and Tayto crisps for sale amongst other things

As regards the cost I think this is the new normal that we're just going to have to get used to, I notice probably like everybody else that my shopping bill here is getting more expensive week on week and that's if they have the stock, I'm waiting for at least 3 weeks for Lidl to get in their salted peanuts!!. I read an article the other week about holidaying in Spain and the take home from it was it might be cheap to get there but everything after that is getting more and more expensive so I would guess Portugal is going the same way

Would Mrs. Cervelo enjoy one of these?

Don't make me laugh ;)
It wouldn't really be my cup of tea I'm more of a get from A to B in as quick a time as possible but I am harbouring an idea of cycling down to the south of Spain one of these days but Mrs C is the opposite, I'd probably go as far as to say it would her idea of a living hell

Last edited:
@Cervelo , agree with you about the nuts, notwithstanding expensive and selection poor in Spain. I found the Dia stores superb for pasta and meat sauce, wines not too shabby either. Only thing that caught me out was the food stores close on Sunday. I camp and cook, worst issue for me last year was locating Campingaz cartridges……..

Agree, here we find some of the oriental dish sauces hard to find

Back