charities cold calling

lab-rat

Hi There,
Just wondering if anyone else have ever had a charity cold calling.
The other day my elderly parent received a call from a lady phoning asking if they would sell ticket on behalf of Temple street hospital. I took over the call as my mam is too nice to say no.
Maybe I am being a little suspicious but I did not like them calling. Is this common practice?

I would consider myself to be a very charitable person and have done fund raising in the past but I do not agree with any kind of fund raising that is in your face and that is what I call this.
Is there any chance you could get in touch with the hospitals fundraising dept and check this out further/make verbal complaint?

Always a possibility that this is a scam? If not then it's certainly objectionable in my opinion. Maybe check with the hospital if it was legitimate first.

Always a possibility that this is a scam? If not then it's certainly objectionable in my opinion. Maybe check with the hospital if it was legitimate first.

I thought that it was a scam too. My folk seem to get alot of these type of dodgy calls. I believe that they can get on to there telephone provider to stop cold calls? I must arrange that asap. but I wonder if this will stop the calls at all.

I believe that they can get on to there telephone provider to stop cold calls? I must arrange that asap. but I wonder if this will stop the calls at all.

It does work. We did this about 2 years ago and haven't had any cold calls since.

We have had 2 of these calls in the last month - one for Temple Street and one for Beaumont. I really object to these calls especially as they both came at dinner time - maybe so we would just say yes to get them off the phone. I dont think it's a scam as it's selling raffle tickets for them rather than buying from them - and if you send the money back to the hospital it should get where it's intended to go. I let them both drone through their full script, said no thanks and hung up.

no unsolicited calls allowed under data protection legislation (changed 2003)

Temple Street seem to be very bad for this sort of thing. Being a Childrens hospital seem to stir guilty donations from more people. There's a couple of people who seem to have a full time job going into the NCR/Dorset St pubs, especially when there are games on in Croker.

Personally I don't think anyone should give any money to these hospitals. Their funding should be (is?) completely covered by the Govt. Charitable donations merely provide a stop gap for poor management; either funds are being mismanaged or not enough is being provided.

Back