charged to close account

No, his account is a special saver account nothing to do with fees on current accounts....

- Yes I realise that -sorry probably didnt make myself clear. I was just trying to make a point about certain People shouting about FREE banking with Current a/c's etc. yet they couldnt understand why the 2.20 charge was such a big deal to this Person.

We are not in the US so the correct term is 'bank draft' not 'cashier's cheque'.

If someone is closing their account discretion can be and should be used in deciding whether or not to apply the fee.

As for charging a child 25p (obviously minimum commission charge) to change a dollar bill - well I would have waived it.

Yes, BOI could have transferred the money electronically if the amount concerned was over €25k but the charge would have been a lot higher than €2.20.
I work for BOI and I certainly wouldn't have charged a child for changing $1 !
As BoxtheFox says a bit of discretion has to be applied at times.
I can't say I support all BOI policies but we do provide a service and in all walks of life services have to be paid for. We are a business after all
!
Free banking in all organisations means No Fees on everyday transactions on current a/c's. Getting a draft is not a typical transaction.

The €2.20 charge is not charged by the bank, so don't blame them. It's a charge for the hollogram on a bank draft that is paid to the govt (not the Bank). You do not pay this if you have a golden years account, paying to a charity or student(depending on bank for the last one). If you are desperate to avoid the €2.20 charge ask to fill out an interpay (which is free) and the money will be transfered to your account in the other bank within three working days.

I have the special saver account with BOI and I have withdrawn cash from it twice without charge. You could have withdrawn it all in cash without charge, surely what the policy is for one BOI branch should be the same for all??
The only time I've not been charged for a bank draft is if its a draft for a charity.

With the special saver account you can withdraw 4 times a year without charge. If you withdraw more than that you are charged. It's automatically taken out from your SBSA by the comp.

Back