Charge using Non Euro ATM/Debit Card

inishgael

This has been a sore point with me for ages. Maybe there is no choice but asking anyway. Just wondering if its free with any bank to withdraw money from ATM in another currency or even use debit card in another currency.
I live on border and spend a fair bit of money in north. Try not to withdraw money as it seems to cost me a fortune eash time. However sterling is hard to come by so always end up using Laser Card however still charged for pleasure.
Also just returned from holiday in USA. Hard enough saving for holiday and making up spending money and unfortunatley maxed out Credit Card (Only allowed €500 limit) so had to use Debit Card. Just checked and seems i was charged alost €40 for using Debit Card.
With Bank of Ireland by way and really tempted to change.
Any idea on bank which would suit? Between myself and wife we have 6 accounts with Bank. Personal account each, Savings Account each, Joint Account and Joint Savings Account. Although not much when put together, very awkward changing banks but due to where i live, have no choice spending in North and would love to avoid or pay less of these charges.
All comments appeciated folks.

The most cost effective method for you would be to put your credit card in credit as the charges are smaller.....you're not charged cash advancement fees as the funds are your own and the "cross border handling fee" is less than that charges associated with a withdrawal on a laser card.

morning
are you living in Northern Ireland? If so you could open a citibank account and open sterling, euro and usd current accounts. As you move through jurisdictions you can ask them to assoc your atm card with the appropriate current account. If you are living in the Rep. then no idea sorry.
gallogy

Yeah as gallogly said you should open an account in the north. You would still have to fund that account but the charges wouldn't be as much in the long run as you'd only have to do one of transfers an could then use the laser card without the 3.5%(min €3.17 max €11.43) charges.

You might consider changing to Ulster Bank. They offer free ATM withdrawals from their or RBS ATM's. I was looking into this recently.

No im living in Republic folks. May look into Ulster Bank as they do seem to be better in other areas as well. Thanks for responses.

Back