charge on card never processed

clonboy

in june last year i had to book a flight to asia,, it was thru a travel agent, cost was 3500 euro, i gave my card details and they sent me tickets,

to date i have not been charged,, whats the course of action here,, will it ever go thru?

Not sure if same rules, but I had an incident with my laser card last year when a purchase failed to show up...I rang the bank a couple of weeks later quering the situation & they advised that the shop had 6 months to hit my account (which they did...) - but there could be differences re credit cards - perhaps give the cc company a call....?

have you travelled already on this ticket?

i am wondering is the ticket viable..i would imagine that if the travel agent didn't see it paid then they may cancel the issued ticket?

if yu've already travelled on the ticket, and its almost a year later i think the agent may have made a boo-boo and you may have got lucky

oh i did travel on it,, that was last year,, was a feeling it was a 6 month rule,, guess i just got lucky,,,

I had a charge appearing on my card months after I bought the Item.
The credit card support said that shop had 6 months to charge me - looks like you may have been lucky!

If you search on AAM, you will find that this has been discussed before.
AFAIK, it is not true that they cannot charge your credit card after 6 months, I think they have 6 years.

I was charged for cinema tickets one year after I had purchsed them. The file was corrupted for my transaction but they got me in the end.

What would happen if the op closed down their credit card account. would they still be liable?
When they authorise a card they only reserve the money for a max of 10 days. If they do not complete the transaction within that time the authorisation is lost and the cardholder can spend the money again. There is now no guarantee they will get their money if they present the transaction after the authorisation has lapsed.

If the OP closed their account the transaction would be declined and the retailer would be at a loss. It is all in their merchant agreements that they must process transactions without delay or they risk not being paid.

I don't think the 6 month thing is anything you can rely on.

If they find the records and present them for payment next year, what are you going to do ? Ring your provider and say that you did authorise the payment, and you did use the flights, but that was, like, you know, years ago . . . and you shouldn't have to, like, pay.

Unlikely.

Most people would end up paying because they recognise that they owe the money.

This is not to say that most people would chase down the merchant and say "Oi, I owe you three and a half grand, please take it from me." Apart from anything else you would run the risk of being charged twice - once when you volunteer and again when they eventually find the record.

I say you just sit tight, stick some emergency money away to cover it just in case it does come through and eventually (after 1/2/3 years) decide they are never going to come after the money and have a few beers on them. Depending on whether you are feeling lucky or not, you could go for double or quits and book another ticket with them . . .

z

There was a similar case discussed on an RTE radio show last week, a grocery chain store (Limerick I think) lhad an issue with their laser machine, it wasn't pushing through the transactions and there was a heap of customers lumped with a bill for transactions dating back since July 2007 but the charges only went through last week :eek:

And those charges would only go thru if there are sufficient funds available as they were outside the 10 day authorisation period, i.e. there is no guarantee there is any money for them.

"What would happen if the op closed down their credit card account. would they still be liable?"

Whatever about not being able to put the charge through on a closed account or an account with insufficient funds, the answer to "would they still be liable?" is a Big Resounding Yes. Its a debt. Collectable/suable on for 6 years from date incurred.

mf

actually at the time i think it was more to do with it being a rush booking and the guy handling the accounts was on holidays,,

been avoiding them since for travel ,,,,,:eek:

Back