Channel Islands/Cornwall etc,anyone recommend?

remey

Hi,

Have time off work in July. We're not into the typical sun holidays (and heat rash, I'm a sham) and have a toddler so dont want to travel too far either.
I'm thinking of the above. The weather should be nice as its so far south and I love the idea of the villages etc.

Has anyone been there and could recommend a nice place to stay or any other tips or advice?

Thanks

stayed in water gate bay in cornwall a few years ago --lovely spot ---went cycling in padstow , lots of walks along the coast and took a drive down to st. ives -- Bath is also worth a visit if you are flying into bristol

we had great weather though which helps!

Jersey every time. Stay at the Radisson Blu overlooking the yacht marina and in sight of the ferry port. Walking distance into the centre of St Helier. Hire a car and travel the island which is beautiful.
Can't tell you the cost of hiring as we always take our car with us.

Visiting the delights of the West Country, starting at Bath, is so delightful. Apart from the
extra couple of degrees warmer the attractions are amazing in the area around
Devon, Wiltshire,Somerset, Cornwall.
Allow 3 days for Bath at least. Visit all the town attractions, including the baths, and the numerous attractions there.
Spend a half day in Wells, a magical small town with a magnificent cathedral. If you can spare a full day visit Longleath Estate, the attractions in the estate are too numerous to mention, the zoo section alone will take couple of hours, the maize and the beautiful house will full your day.
After that plan your trip taking in: Lacock, Clovelly and Porlock, will take you back 200 years their beautifully preservation is a credit to the forethought that the British had for preservation don't miss any of them.
A highlight must be the Eden project global garden a must!!! and cap it off with SSt Ives, if you can make it that far south.
It is 17 years since I did that tour by car and now when I think of the pleasure and enjoyment we had I will plan a return. Have a most memorable holiday Regards Browtal

We're heading that way this summer. Driving with three kids under 6 in the back of the car :eek:

We've been to Padstow before, and this time are going to Newquay and St Ives. Our holiday requirements are proximity to sand, and proximity to bucket-and-spade shops - hence Newquay. We booked one holiday home through Cornish Gems, and the other we booked direct with the owner (via Google).

Some coastal towns are actually quite cliffy and not beachy, especially on the northern coast.

Many Cornish towns are very hilly, so you will need a buggy for a toddler, with a wrist-strap just to be sure. It can also be very windy (great for surfers, not so great for small children).

Getting there is not terribly easy, though. You could fly to Exeter out of Dublin, and hire a car with car-seat. Because we're bringing the kitchen sink, we're driving. Ferries out of Rosslare to Pembroke or Fishguard are not at a convenient time for us, so we are going out of Dublin Port to Holyhead on a high-speed, and it is 7-8 hours then (which we will do over two days).

I was in Cornwall 2 years ago with three kids. Loved it. The Eden Project is well worth a trip.

The Minack Theatre http://www.minack.com/ in Cornwall is a must visit. Even if you don't go to a show, it is one of the most breathtaking places I have ever been.

Consider taking a trip to the Scilly Isles for a day (or longer). We flew from Exeter to Tresco by helicopter, think it was around £60 for the day trip. Tresco is stunning, exotic plants and gardens, you'd never think it was just off the English coast!

We're heading that way this summer. Driving with three kids under 6 in the back of the car :eek:

We've been to Padstow before, and this time are going to Newquay and St Ives. Our holiday requirements are proximity to sand, and proximity to bucket-and-spade shops - hence Newquay. We booked one holiday home through Cornish Gems, and the other we booked direct with the owner (via Google).

Some coastal towns are actually quite cliffy and not beachy, especially on the northern coast.

Many Cornish towns are very hilly, so you will need a buggy for a toddler, with a wrist-strap just to be sure. It can also be very windy (great for surfers, not so great for small children).

Getting there is not terribly easy, though. You could fly to Exeter out of Dublin, and hire a car with car-seat. Because we're bringing the kitchen sink, we're driving. Ferries out of Rosslare to Pembroke or Fishguard are not at a convenient time for us, so we are going out of Dublin Port to Holyhead on a high-speed, and it is 7-8 hours then (which we will do over two days).
I did the trip through Holyhead and didn't find to too bad (in one day).

Planned Rosslare/Pembroke with a night over in North Devon. Some good overnight deals in chain hotels. Then on down to rent an apartment for 6 nights near Falmouth. We will use this as a base to travel all over Cornwall. Sterling expensive to purchase at the moment.

Thanks for all the tips, sounds like the South coast of England and channel islands are a great spot to holiday. Lots of recommendations-thanks.
I'm edging closer to Jersey because hubby definitely wants a sun holiday. I will definitely do Cornwall and surrounds another time. I really want to see the Eden project. I'd like to split it in two to be honest but with a toddler I just want to go to one place, unpack and stay put.
Jersey is hard enough to get to in that there are no direct flights but summer holiday wise it looks nice. Any other hotel recommendations?

Thanks

There are ferries from both Poole and Weymouth to Jersey stopping off at Guernsey on the way.

Back