changing to a 98 Volvo S40 2L with all bells & whistles...Is this a good deal ?

A99

Hi ;
I need to change my wifes car as she needs a 4 door car, she currently has a 3 door 00 Hyundi Accent with 60K on clock, never had a problem with it, goes great & just had €500 service incl timing belt. I am considering changing to a 98 Volvo S40 2L with all bells & whistles incl all leather with 99K on clock. The dealer wants €500 to change, is this a good deal as I want a cheap reliable car with 4 doors ?
Also anyone know what kind of MPG this 2L volvo would give or could recommend a good make ?

So you've found a dealer who'll actually take a Hyundai Accent off you? Sounds like a great deal!

S40 not best Volvo ever, but perfectly good car. They hold their value about as badly as a Hyundai though - but dealer unlikely to do straight swap. He justs want some cash in the transaction. Check for good maintenance record in 99k motor, and warranty dealer offering.

If you've just spent €500 on the Accent, why not sell it privately?

The dealer will offer standard 3 month warranty & I will have to get a mechanic to look over it 1st.
I was thinking of selling the Hyundi privately with recent service receipt but I dont know if I want that hassle as it may take a while to sell & I would have to deal with callers / timewasters etc. Personally I wouldn't buy a car privately as I would have no comeback etc.
Does the 99K concern you ? I know I am not buying an investment, just want something reliable that I can sell off or trade on in a year or 2 ?

"is this a good deal as I want a cheap reliable car with 4 doors ?"

IMHO a Volvo would not be cheap to run. Any repairs and tax/insurance would be expensive, compared to the hyundai.

You will get about 30mpg from the Volvo. They are expensive to service if you go to a main dealer and the tax on a 2l will be high. If it has 99k on the clock make sure the timing belt was done at about 75-80k (I think). They are very comfortable on city / good roads but are a rough ride on country roads. The suspension bushes tends to go when driven on rough roads so make sure they are in working order on this car if you buy it. If you have kids the Volvo is a better bet from a size and safety point of view.

Back