Changing Surname to Married name

lemeister

According to [broken link removed], you need to execute a deed poll in order for a marriage surname change to have legal effect.
Do many people go down this route and is this the only way to get your surname changed for Government departments such as revenue, etc? Seems more convoluted than I would have thought.

I certainly didn't go down this route when I married. Never knew I might have had to!

Revenue had no difficulty changing my surname to that of my husband (although I had actually become a double-barrel, adding his surname to my own, they just replaced my surname with his on their files!). Equally, I didn't go down the deed poll route when I reverted to my own surname on separation.

Government Departments accept a marriage certificate as sufficient evidence when a change of surname is requested.

I doubt if anyone executes a deed poll to change their name after getting married.
I have never heard of anyone doing it, or being told by any official body that they
had to.

Me neither. As the CitizensInformation page also says your name is basically established through common usage.

Just change your name on passports/driving licence etc when they come up for renewal. I didn't have any difficulty changing my name with Revenue either, the banks were a bit fussier on new accounts, loans etc they used my married name but on anything that pre-dated my marraige my maiden name remained. You could also inform the 'Client Identity Services of Dept. of Social and Family Affairs' if you want to be sure that your records are complete.

Back