changing solicitors?

bobo

I've just appointed a solicitor for the purchase of a house this morning. We had a short conversation and he took a few details, names, pps numbers phone numbers addresses, estate agent details etc. The trouble is I have just got a new quote from another solicitor who is over €400 cheaper and is a big name so i'm very tempted to change. Is this possible at this stage? Would he charge me for services rendered to date? Can I give a good excuse? Is it bad form to change? That 400 will go towards a nice new fridge.

Would he charge me for services rendered to date?
If any services have been rendered then he is entitled to charge for them.
Can I give a good excuse? Is it bad form to change? That 400 will go towards a nice new fridge.
I would say it straight (although keeping the €400 figure to myself).

On the other hand be careful of getting a cheaper solicitor who might not be as reliable as the original one.

If any services have been rendered then he is entitled to charge for them.
I would say it straight (although keeping the €400 figure to myself).

On the other hand be careful of getting a cheaper solicitor who might not be as reliable as the original one.

No services were rendered other than my phonecall to him and his time and short verbal advice re deposit cheque plus other background paperwork he may have done.
I wonder is it likely that he has contacted the estate agent to find out details re the vendors solicitors? It is probably too messy to change at this stage.

No services were rendered other than my phonecall to him and his time and short verbal advice re deposit cheque plus other background paperwork he may have done.
I would imagine that there will still be a charge for these.
I wonder is it likely that he has contacted the estate agent to find out details re the vendors solicitors? It is probably too messy to change at this stage.
None of his business if you do switch but perhaps it makes sense to stick with him now anyway?

How would you react if the vendor of the property told you he was pulling out of the deal post-agreement because he had been offered a higher amount by someone else?

Just tell original straight that you have got a cheaper quote and are changing solicitor. Most likely he will reduce fee to match the new quote. I have nothing per se against solicitors but they are service providers and we should be prepared to challenge them in relation to fee structure and quality of service provided when necessary.

How would you react if the vendor of the property told you he was pulling out of the deal post-agreement because he was later offered a higher amount by someone else?

Changing solicitor would not be equal to gazumping in a property transaction. Even so why not give the original solicitor the opportunity to match the new price?

I would imagine that there will still be a charge for these.

None of his business if you do switch but perhaps it makes sense to stick with him now anyway?

How can he charge for services rendered as i never signed anything requesting his services? I could have been impersonated by somebody else? (!).

The sale process is driven by the vendors solicitor so there is nothing your solicitor can do until they get the contracts in - normally 2/3 weeks from now - therefore I'd be very surprised if there were any charges for simply speaking to you this morning. To be fair to the original solicitor you should call them and explain you've been offered a lower price and ask if they are prepared to meet it or reduce their charge; they may be happy to retain the business for a lower fee.

If they aren't you are perfectly entitled to switch without any hassle.

Sarah

www.rea.ie

I assumed that the solicitor would charge for conversations/advice to date even if nothing was signed.

They're not that bad!

Sarah

the solicitor i am thinking of going for is an elected member of dublin city council, i presume he is the frontman for his organisation and has other people doing the work for him.

this is wrecking my head - do i stay with solicitor or do i go?!!

for interest here is the tempting quote:

€1,000 professional fee.
€100 for miscellaneous outlay.
VAT @21% €231
Search fees c€140
Commissioners fees €60
Land Registry Fees:-
Registration of Transfer €625
Registration of Mortgage €125
Up to date Folio & Map €25
Stamp Duty 420,000@6pc €25,200

Total €27,506

Less Stamp Duty is €2,306

-----------
and here is the one i signed up for:

1.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Stamp duty on purchase price (first time owner occupier relief) - €25,200.00.
2.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Searches - €145.00.
3.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Land Registry fees on purchase - €625.00.
4.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Land Registry fees on mortgage - €131.00.
5.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Legal fee on purchase - €1,000.00.
6.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Legal fee on mortgage - €350.00.
7.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Miscellaneous outlays - €150.00.
8.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]To VAT on legal fees and outlays subject to VAT - €315.00.

[FONT=&quot] Total….. €27,916.00[/FONT]

But they are both quoting the same professional conveyancing fee of €1K which should be the main known issue in relation to the overall legal fees? Other fees (land registry, searches, SD etc.) should be more or less the same with both solicitors. Or is it the €350 legal fee on mortgage that makes the difference? What is that exactly?!

As I see it 1000 flat fee is still money for old rope for conveyance. Its bread and butter work for a solicitor and most could do just that and make a decent living, A few years ago on the 1% plus 100 the solicitor would have done the same work for less. Yes I know there is hyper wage inflation and all that but if there was no boom these services would be much less than currently charged. Onw quote had 350 for mortgage registry and one has not. Is this possibly Stamp Duty on a 350k mortgage? If so, it was abolished in the Budget and will be raified in the finance bill in April.

Last edited:
I presume that some solicitors have to spend more time on some cases than on others so they decide that €1,000 is a reasonable price (and margin) for all cases? Of course you can pay flat fees of less or more elsewhere.

But they are both quoting the same professional conveyancing fee of €1K which should be the main known issue in relation to the overall legal fees? Other fees (land registry, searches, SD etc.) should be more or less the same with both solicitors. Or is it the €350 legal fee on mortgage that makes the difference? What is that exactly?!

i presumed the legal fee for mortgage processing was included in the 1st quote. Think i might be wise to stick with my solicitor as in fairness gave a comphrehensive list of what he will provide (in addition to the detail quote)_

Yes presumably the €350 on mortagage is the solicitors fee for the legal work associated with the mortgage. Although I would have thought this should have been incorporated in the €1000?! If you feel that you are getting a better service/price elsewhere then you should change solicitors. Although if you do change it is common courtsey to let the original solicitor know as soon as possible and he would be entitled to charge you for his time to date.

€350 extra for the mortgage work on top of the €1000 convenancing fee seems a bit tasty to me alright. At the very least I'd query that unless you already said that it was OK. Especially in the light of the new quote.

Back