Changing management company without telling home owners

Muddle2018

Apparently the above has or is happening where I bought my property circa 21 years ago. It was purely by rumour some of us found out but when I queried it with the company they said letters were delivered and not one (of 120 homes) responded at all. I certainly did not get a letter and just wondered what can happen here? I have always paid my fees as I bought off the plans and sent up a direct debit and frankly never thought again but apparently a lot of others have never paid etc. I am just wondering what happens if this new company now come in and want twice what we were paying etc. Any advice on this? I honestly thought being a homeower anything like this had to be done via agm but clearly I am wrong as no agm letters sent out nor meeting had either. Not since before covid in fact. I dont know anything about management companies so any information at all is appreciated.

It's unlikely the Management Company is changing. It is more likely your management Agent is changing and that is not really a big deal. It should be done every few years in my opinion. Its like moving from one electric supply to another every year, a good idea to drive value.
Anyway you should know who the management company directors are. They decide on the management fees and how money is spent. They will probably not be changing. You should be having annual AGMs and voting in these directors. You could even go forward yourself as a director and get a really good understanding of how your complex is being run

I dont know anything about management companies
If you buy a house or apartment in a managed development then you need to inform yourself. You are a member of the management company as are all other owners. As already said, find out who the current directors are and try to contact them for information. It is likely they will have good reason for changing agent especially if there is a debt problem. Ask when the next AGM is and make sure to attend and ask lots of questions!

I do/did know who they were. I bought off the plans and still in my home where many have sold up or moved and become landlords. I have always found them difficult to deal with. I have contacted them so many times over the years about statements even of my own account and been brushed off and as my kid was much younger and it was just us here I couldnt go to agm's back in the day. The just before covid I had a bit more time and started asking again then fobbed off then got cited covid and then life went back to pre covid and I never thought about it but I have a camera doorbell and while they say they popped this letter in personally not one person came to my door. The camera picks up everything and I am not the only one either. I once offered my own services in an admin role from home and was rebuffed, offered to print things and deliver them and same. Its all been very strange and now out of the blue I get told we have changed company and what happened to my letter after it was posted to my home is not their concern and to raise it with the new company. None of this was previous information or I would have contacted them prior to now. My only thinking is that they did not in fact give a letter to those of us who are continuously paying the fees every year in case we stop paying - and i did stop my direct debit today till I get answers.

@Threadser this is the thing I have queried why this went ahead without home owners knowing and was told 'wow we are shocked you did not get the hand delivered letter' but there was none. My camera does not lie. I do not care what the reason is for changing I care about the fact that the only people who know are the initial management company and their cronies. I have googled the name of the iniitial company and it tells me that the new company is also the original one they just moved to a different location so this is very strange. There are never agms. Honestly out of all the homes here the only ones that ever seem to know about them are the company and their friends from other homes.

There are never agms. Honestly out of all the homes here the only ones that ever seem to know about them are the company and their friends from other homes.
Then it's time you and the other owners took action and held them to account. Gather numbers to force an EGM and get some people who are actually willing to put in the effort involved. Keep in mind though that it is largely a thankless job where everyone else who can't be bothered getting involved will just complain about you all the time.

I have always found them difficult to deal with. I have contacted them so many times over the years about statements even of my own account and been brushed off and as my kid was much younger and it was just us here I couldnt go to agm's back in the day.
Again you are confusing the managing agent with the company. Yourself and fellow owners are the company. The managing agent works on your behalf as most owners don't have time for day to day admin. An AGM is held once a year and you have to take responsibility for not attending the AGM. If you have serious concerns, prioritise making arrangements for childcare and as @Leo has suggested call an EGM and get involved in your company. Positive changes can be made but you have to be prepared to take action yourself and not sit at home complaining. I started a key post about this a while ago which might be useful for you to read.
https://askaboutmoney.com/threads/d...elopment-is-being-managed.231051/post-1821660

Back