Changing locks on PVC Front door

purple17

Hi
Im very clueless about DIY (female living on her own!) and just enquiring is there a cheap way of getting my front door locks changed and can this be done myself? I really cant afford much to get this done and ppl have been telling me it'll cost up to €150 to get a locksmith to do it. Or can anyone recommend someone cheaper?
Can these even be bought in a diy shop i.e. b&q and i cud prob get my father / bro in law to do it?
It's a standard white pvc front door and need to get this done asap for security reasons!!

Open the door and at the side undo the screw which isinline with the barrel, there are very rarely any faceplates to take off on upvc doors!
Then put the key in, turn about 5-10 degrees either direction, pulling at the same time, until the barrel slides out.
Measure from the centre of the screw hole to either end of the barrel (in mm), as both ends are not always the same length.
Then get to a LOCKSMITHS, it will be more likely that they will have the size you need.

Replacing it is just as simple.... turn the keys slightly, push the barrel through the door until it shows on the other side, then before trying to locate the screw hole, turn the key so that the bolt throws out about half way, that way there is no way that the cylinder can be out of position when you tighten up the screw again! Hope this helps.

Remember , 3 point and 5 point security locks for pvc, timber, and aluminium doors and windows could run to over E100. Depending on your requirements of course.

sabre

Remember , 3 point and 5 point security locks for pvc, timber, and aluminium doors and windows could run to over E100. Depending on your requirements of course.
Depending on your requirements of course..
but if you just wanted to change the barrel.. they only cost €7 on eBay.
[broken link removed]

Depending on your requirements of course..
but if you just wanted to change the barrel.. they only cost €7 on eBay.
[broken link removed]

It would be interesting to know whether the locksmith was charging for a new lock and barrel, or barrel only:eek:

sabre

If possible try to get an ISEO brand cylinder as they are the better ones.

Depending on your budget and your security requirements the more secure cylinders are"anti snap" as it is very easy to break into a door fitted with an ISEO or one of ebay cylinders Cat 101 pointed out.
Then you could also go for a restricted cylinder which means that the keyholder would be registered at the locksmiths and only they can cut keys. Just additional security. Finally you might consider keyed alike cylinders for your all or some of your doors so as name implies one key fits all.

You can get knobs for the inside that allow you to exit (in an emergency) without the keys.

Back