Changing Engineer

rebellad

I am at the final stages before my house build begins i.e digging out foundations next week. I am after having a few disagreements with my engineer and am not overly happy with him at the moment. He is down as the engineer on our mortgage and he supplied the stage payments breakdown to our bank. What would be involved at changing him at this stage or is it more hassle than it's worth?? If I get the foundations started is it too late to change then??

Perhaps you could elaborate on the disagreements that you had with your engineer....just a thought.

Is he per chance recommending block on flat to support your precast floor?? - not to deviate from the topic of the post, but perhaps your engineer is correct??

many solid wideslab manufacturers only require a 215 wall where slabs met.... only 100 block is required at external walls. This is simply a progress in the technology... some old school engineers may not be happy this "old dogs, new tricks etc" as they have to sign it off....
the issue here is whether the engineers requirement to have 215 on flat at external walls is worth:
1. the extra cost of blocks, mortar and labour
2. the loss of floor area

versus

the hassle and cost to pay off the first guy and hire someone else (assuming someone else will take this on.. perhaps you might not be able to find anyone??)

To give a valid opinion on this thread I would really think that the OP should elaborate further regarding the issues he/she is not happy with, & what his/her engineer has recommended.

Unfortunately....its still not very clear.....& to progress this thead further the following below shoud be answered:

Breakdown in relationship with engineer - I understand your issue here
Decisions made by your engineer - Clarification required
You not happy with your engineer- Clarification required

Then .....a more balanced answer to your query can follow

many solid wideslab manufacturers only require a 215 wall where slabs met.... only 100 block is required at external walls. This is simply a progress in the technology... some old school engineers may not be happy this "old dogs, new tricks etc" as they have to sign it off....
the issue here is whether the engineers requirement to have 215 on flat at external walls is worth:

versus

the hassle and cost to pay off the first guy and hire someone else (assuming someone else will take this on.. perhaps you might not be able to find anyone??)

Your opening statement is clearly incorrect......The use of 100mm or 215mm load bearing elements varies, and as to which one is suitable depends on several issues

1. Span of the precast slab & screed.
2. Depth of the precast slab & screed.
3. Openings in the load bearing wall in question.
4. Additional loads over from the structure.
5. Wind loads.
6. Any other issues....& I will follow them up on the thread

The OP really needs to clarify his issues on AAM....as per my previous comments. The other issues as raised above in your thead can then be addressed

my statement was a generalisation... a generalisation which is correct for the vast majority of domestic situations in which wide slabs are used.

I completely agree with what you have stated, but i have to say in 10 years of first hand experience with domestic building i have never yet seen a situation where the depth, span or opes required the outer leaf to be 215 block in a house. I have seen it required where hollowcore slabs are used, but thats not what we're talking about.

To give a valid opinion on this thread I would really think that the OP should elaborate further regarding the issues he/she is not happy with, & what his/her engineer has recommended.

Unfortunately....its still not very clear.....& to progress this thead further the following below shoud be answered:

Breakdown in relationship with engineer - I understand your issue here
Decisions made by your engineer - Clarification required
You not happy with your engineer- Clarification required

Then .....a more balanced answer to your query can follow

To answer the questions above :

The engineer has said that he wants all load bearing walls to be block on flat not just where the slabs meet.

I talked to a few friends who have put in the precast floors and they said there engineers were happy to go with what the precast company recommended. My builder has also said that it is a waste of money to go with block on flat and he has put in numerous slabs.

my statement was a generalisation... a generalisation which is correct for the vast majority of domestic situations in which wide slabs are used.

I completely agree with what you have stated, but i have to say in 10 years of first hand experience with domestic building i have never yet seen a situation where the depth, span or opes required the outer leaf to be 215 block in a house. I have seen it required where hollowcore slabs are used, but thats not what we're talking about.

Unfortunately I stand over my previous thread comments on this one.

In my 12 years of first hand experience with domestic building I have seen the use of 215mm solid blockwork load bearing inner leaf to an external wall on numerous occasions

Syd the beat, you make reference to the outerleaf as per your previous thread....however I don't recall the OP mentioning this to be the leaf in question. From an engineering point of view the outer leaf to a cavity wall is considered a non load bearing part of the structure.....whereas the inner leaf is considered an engineering load bearing element.....Perhaps this is the leaf in question

I would also note that the OP has not also identified the slab type in question as of yet....so I would assumme that is abit premature in suggesting that it is not a hollowcore slab. 'Precast slabs' could be precast hollowcore slabs, precast wideslabs, etc.

Last edited:
To answer the questions above :

The engineer has said that he wants all load bearing walls to be block on flat not just where the slabs meet.

I talked to a few friends who have put in the precast floors and they said there engineers were happy to go with what the precast company recommended. My builder has also said that it is a waste of money to go with block on flat and he has put in numerous slabs.

Unfortunately it is very difficult to guide you on this issue without seen the building, the drawings, the site etc. However we can only give you some advice to take the necessary next steps.

Your 1st point:
Query your engineer as to why he wants to use block on flat.....remember you are the client....so you have every right to query this. Please interpete exactly what he is saying if you do query him.

Your 2nd point:
Your friends will not certify your house on completion
Your builder most definately will not certify your house on completion
Your builder's sub-contractor..ie. The precast manufacturer will not certify your house on completion

I would be very surprised if your friends engineers made the above recommendation. The precast manufacturer would recommend the min. bearing requirement for the precast units (the min. dimension of blockwork required to support the precast).

Your engineer will certify your house.....Remember also that your engineer acts on behalf of the Client...you in this case.

Query him on the above issue.

pope, the reason i made 'assumptions' is because ive been following the same thead here....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055298047

therefors i stand over my very first post in this thread which said..
"the issue here is whether the engineers requirement to have 215 on flat at external walls is worth:

versus

the hassle and cost to pay off the first guy and hire someone else (assuming someone else will take this on.. perhaps you might not be able to find anyone??)"

Syd the beat.....Thanks for the thread.....I am not familiar with that website.

I do understand your point in your previous thread.

However I would ask the OP to compare the similarities to this quote below to my previous thread & my 3rd thread. I believe Syd the Beat that the combination of my previous threads are covered in a nutshell below:

Quote from SUPERTECH
Engineer won't have to sign off on element designed by others ie the floor, but will have to sign off on structure holding it up - ie the walls. Talk to engineer and see his reasoning. Spans may be an issue, loads at first floor may be an issue - he's the project supervisor and has the final say not the floor manufacturer. 150mm thick gives you coursing problems where standard block meets non standard and they're pain to work with. If the eng says 215 and wont budge he's the boss.

The reasons as to why engineers use block on flat are covered in the above quote & also my points 1-6 in my 3rd thread.

What you need to do now is

Ask your engineer as to why he requires block on flat (as per my previous thread & the above quote).

I gather you are looking to pour foundations soon....so its best if you can ask him now.

Last edited:
Back