Changing dipped bulb on 02 Audi A4 - leave it to the professionals?

deadwood

I have a 2002 Audi A4.
I noticed my drivers side dipped headlight bulb needs replacing. Had a look at it this morning, thinking i'd pick one up in a shop and pop it in. Not so straightforaward to my untrained eye, though.

It looks like I need to remove all sorts of stuff just to change a bulb. I'm afraid I might damage something or alter focus and risk that dreaded intake of breath by the mechanic when I eventually roll in, parts and wallet in hand, lying that the dog must have gone at it.

Has anyone else done this at home or should I leave it to the mechanic. I've had no luck online.

Paying someone just to change a bulb ...:mad:

If it's the A4 B6 model these are a nightmare to change.

The driver's side bulbs are just about possible to change in situ, you need to take off the ducting to the air intake.

The passenger's side are impossible to do, I even tried undoing the power steering reservoir.

The way the garage does it is to unbolt the light units and slide forward, you'll need a set of Torx sockets for this, it may be cheaper to go to a mechanic as they'll have them.

SSE

Thanks SSE.
Have those sockets. Removed the duct. Undid the top 2 screws. Now I'm stumped!

Got it!
Thanks for your help.

Proud of my handy work, I went to check all was working and now the sidelight is gone!:eek:

[broken link removed] has a step by step guide with photos.

Last edited:
glad you got it sorted. I always buy a Haynes workshop manual when i get a car. it's worth it for small fixes/repairs. it's well laid out and has diagrams and photos so it's fairly idiot-proof.:D

they're around €30.

Thanks for that. I've bought the Haynes books for previous cars and find them very handy. The price is well worth it compared to labour/parts costs for simple jobs.

I wanted to get it changed today before dark, and haven't been to a Halfords in a while!

Back