changing brake bulb on an IS200

briancbyrne

Ello All,
Realised one of the brake lights on my car was gone over the weekend so went to halfords to get a bulb.
When I went to change it, it seems a bit more complicated than I first thought.
Does anyone know if Im meant to pop the whole light fixture out of the wing and access it that way (and in so doing have to take the hard plastic rim around the inside of the boot out to access it) or am I going about it entirely the wrong way?

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Brian

I would imagine there's either a circular rubber boot or a plastic cap inside the boot, at the rear of the light, that pops off - this will let you access the lights. They can be tricky enough to replace, but a bit of practice pays off (I do an Honda Accord all the time).

no - unfortunately the only access is for the wiring to the light - about twice the size of a stg £ coin

If there's no access to the individual bulbs from the back you must have to take the whole unit off somehow - normally a couple of screws and the unit is located by plastic lugs.

I assume the designers of some cars must snigger themselves to sleep wondering how they can make the changing of bulbs so difficult. I had to change the headlight bulb on an A4 recently and I had to take the air filter etc. off. I think some Fords and Renaults have to have their front bumpers taken off. To change a bulb FFS!

SSE

any idea what a garage would charge to do this - - dont fancy going at it and making a dogs dinner of it

Hi,

Not trying to be smart but did you read the manual?!
I know that the manual for my car (Mercedes) goes through it step by step with diagrams.

Triona

Hi,

Not trying to be smart but did you read the manual?!
I know that the manual for my car (Mercedes) goes through it step by step with diagrams.

Triona

yea - was my first port of call but no good.
typical japanese car manual - poor at best

Back