Changes to driving test

I

ISBN

Hi

Just wondering if anyone knows of any 'guidelines' that the department may be publishing in relation to the changes that take effect from Monday for the driving test

Thanks

From 14 February 2005 if you are doing a driving test for categories B (car), EB (car with trailer) and W (work vehicle) you must explain some technical checks as part of your test. After you have answered some questions on the Rules of the Road, the instructor will bring you out to your vehicle. You will be asked how a technical check would be performed on 3 of the following; steering, horn, brakes, tyres, lights, reflectors, indicators, engine oil, coolant, windscreen washer fluid. Access to these items will require you demonstrate how to open the bonnet and to close it securely.

From 14 February 2005 if you are doing a test for categories C1, C, EC1 and EC (truck and trucks with trailers) you will be asked how a technical check would be peformed on 3 of the same items above. Access to these items will require you to open and securely close the bonnet, to open/close panels etc.

More detailed information regarding test changes is here:
Guidance on technical aspects of test:
[broken link removed]

Guidance on changes to vehicle categories here:
[broken link removed]

Check the horn: Push it

Check the tyres: Kick them

Should a horn work when the ignition is not on? I know mine doesn't work without the engine on and I have always wondered??

Re: ..Driving tests

I would suggest to the Mods or Admins that we move this post to "letting off steam" as I have a lot of steam to let off, as do many more I expect.
Anyway, my first observation on reading the above links are as regards the pass rate & waiting time notice how the test centres with the lowest waiting times also have the most passes and are all along the western seaboard. Is there a tale to tell or does something stink. I have just e-mailed the Dept of Transport in Ballina and I am also going to send a personal e-mail to the Minister as regards the same :mad

Anyone know where the details of how to perform these checks are as the other half has been waiting for the test since last summer so I assume it will be coming up soon.

Good thinking Leatherarse, I was thinking the very same. Compare Ennis and Churchtown for example.

Ennis
Average Pass Rate: 65.5
Average Waiting Time: 21 wks

Churchtown
Average Pass Rate: 48.3
Average Waiting Time: 50 wks

Apart from the obvious higher demand for the test in Dublin, why should there be such a big difference in the pass rates?

Let us know what response you get if you are lucky enough to get one!

As an American (from N CA)soon to be moving near Tullamore, I'll probably never get a license,LOL however since the pass rate in Birr is higher can you go to another town to try your luck? Wonder how long I can drive on an international license, will have insurance thru GEICO because of company move for hubby.Thanks for the info.

ISBN, I did get a reply and I will give you a couple of quotes as my time is at a premium tonight.
The fact that pass rates are higher outsideof the built up areas, can be partly attributed to fewer traffic hazards congestion etc
Are Ennis and Galway etc not built up areas
The level of instruction received by candidates along the "Western Seaboard" (my quote) may also have an effect on pass rates.
I wonder what would happen if this was publicised. :mad

P.S. I have a full Drivers licence in all categories except motor bikes so I am not a disgruntled applicant. I just think it is high time that we were not treated lile dog sh*t by the powers that be . We are not morons. :mad :mad

Congestion???? Pass rates should not be affected by congestion. If someone takes their driving test and happens to be sitting in traffic for 20 mins or so does not mean that they are not a capable driver. Thats absolute rubbish. :rolleyes

Back