Change UK licence to Irish one - accumulated points transferred?

M

mickeymc

If I change my uk licence to an Irish one will the points I've accumalated here be transfered on to it?

Re: If I change my uk licence to an Irish one will the points I've accumalated be tfe

in theory yes but records may not be that good, why do you want to change??

noah

Re: If I change my uk licence to an Irish one will the points I've accumalated be tfe

Heard something in the radio last week - the points cannot be written over as the system is too different. For something where UK give 3 point Ireland only gives 2 and stuff like that. So I don't think that points will get over to the Irish license.

its an old paper licence, and its falling apart. Every time I show it to a guard they rip it a little bit more. I can't see it lasting too much longer.

No, there is no unity between UK and IRL licenceing systems. Although I saw on the news last week that they are to bring it in soon.

The points i have (8 or 10) were issued in Ireland, but obviously not put on my licence. I'm worried that if I change I'll be hit with the lot in one go.

If they where issued in Ireland than you will not get rid of them by changing your license.

Of course the points will be transferred, if they are all current - they just keep the non-Irish licence details on a seperate database.
Maybe it's time you stopped giving the Guards a reason to pull you over, then your licence may actually survive :rolleyes:
(Incidentally I have a UK licence myself - one of the old paper ones. My copy is from 1998 and I got a friend to laminate it for me about 5 years ago - so it's perfect :D )

Why not just chase another uk license?

Less hassle till they get the agreements sorted.

In theory, yes all your points will be transferred over in one go.
It's actually a disadvantage of having a foreign EU licence if you are intending on staying in Ireland.
In practice, I'm not sure how good their record keeping is.

Is there any legit way you could renew your UK licence in the UK? When does it expire? Would be interesting to see if your renewed UK licence had the same serial number or a different one.

That is why I wont change my UK licence to an Irish one, because you dont have to renew it, you get your licence until you are 65. Its only a money racket renewing it.

The licence number on a UK licence doesn't change. It is made up of the following:-
1st 5 letters of your surname, your date of birth jumbled up, your initials followed by a random number and 2 random letters.

I haven't changed mine for the same reason Biddy, lasts until the day before your 70th birthday...after that you have to reapply every 3 years, after taking a medical.

If your licence is that tired mickeymc, why not write to Swansea and ask for a replacement? You'll get a card instead.

If you aquire 8 to 10 points in Ireland, (well done by the way, thats hard to do), and you have an english licence, you will not get the points on your English licence. When you transfer your licence to an Irish one, the points will come across and only start their *time from the point of issue of your Irish licence.
* = the time the points will remain on your licence.

Back