Change in job - redundancy?

Lane7

I am due to return to work having been on maternity and unpaid leave for a year. During my absence my job has been changed so when I return, I will not be doing the job which I left, well maybe 10% of it. I am seriously thinking of resigning for a number of reasons, one of which is a very long commute with a small child. Am I correct in thinking that I am entitled to return to work to the exact same job which I left and if this is not available to me, do I have an entitlement to redundancy? Thanks for your views/comments.

from the citizens information website:

Returning to work

Under Section 26 of the Maternity Protection Act 1994 you are entitled to return to work to the same job with the same contract of employment. Section 27 of the Act states that if it is not reasonably practicable for your employer to allow you to return to your job, then they must provide you with suitable alternative work. This new position should not be on terms substantially less favourable than those of your previous job.
Otherwise, you are entitled to be treated as if you had been at work during your maternity leave. Your employment conditions cannot be worsened by the fact that you have taken maternity leave, and if pay or other conditions have improved while you have been on maternity leave then you are entitled to these benefits when you return to work.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...tions/leave_and_holidays/maternity_leave.html

If you leave of your own volition, you would not be entitled to redundancy.

However, if your old job has gone, then you may have been made redundant.

You should seek Union representation and/or legal advice. If not a member of a Union, join one now!

Back