change car to reduce motoring cost

dozydelilah

i have a c250 td 1998 merc. it is paid for but still the tax is up on 1200 euro per year. i do about 350 miles a weekand use on average just under 50 euro in deisel. with my insurance of 350 a year. so basically it costs me about 80 a week. the only thing i like about it is that its a solid car, in the event of a crash i hope my family and i would have a good chance of coming out alive. has anyone any idea,s for me, as i dont know a whole lot about cars or budgeting for that matter!! lol
thanks for any help

How much were you planning to spend on a replacement? On the safety front most modern cars even superminis would probably perform better than yours in a crash so I wouldn't have too many worries on that front. The insurance is not going to vary hugely no matter what you drive so you should take that out of the equation. TBH if you are happy with the car you have and its going well I would hold onto it and you won't make massive savings when you factor in depreciation in a newer model

thanks i just realy hate the thoughts of giing another 1200 euro to the government to waste one way or another!!!!

5th gear did an offset test between a renault modus and a volvo 940 estate.

Old solid brick against a modern 5 star NCAP.

I and the 5th gear guys were amazed how badly the Volvo did
Dash had moved roof folded and door was very difficult to open. Legs broken maybe severd , hard work to get badly injured person out.

The small cheap renault came of very well. Door opened dash had not moved( legs not broken and easy to get you out of). The renault is designged to send the energy around the passengers.

Old solid as a brick not so good as you may think.

Back