Champagne ?

butterfield

Have 2 bottles of Mercier 1998 champagne in back of kitchen press. Don't know much above this kind of thing - so are they ok to drink or do they have a shelf life??

Have 2 bottles of Mercier 1998 champagne in back of kitchen press. Don't know much above this kind of thing - so are they ok to drink or do they have a shelf life??

Poisonous id say... Ill call down and bring them to the bottle bank for you, be careful not to open them!

A bottle of 1961 will cost you over €200. You could hold onto it a little longer perhaps!

That said, a kitchen isn't a great place to store wine due to the effects of regular temperature changes. Were they stored upright or on their side?

Chances are they'll be fine, you'll know soon enough when you taste them.
Leo

Poisonous id say... Ill call down and bring them to the bottle bank for you, be careful not to open them!

Such a kind and thoughtful offer and helping the environment at the same time. Heart of gold obviously. Presumably a non-drinker also :D

Thanks for replies and I think you would know by taste as Leo said. My son actually brought them back from a school trip to France where they visited Eperney in 1999 and they were forgotton !! They have been left upright but look alright - will save them for special occasion when my son is around, as hes away now. I'm looking forward to tasting them now soon !!

Thanks for replies and I think you would know by taste as Leo said. My son actually brought them back from a school trip to France where they visited Eperney in 1999 and they were forgotton !! They have been left upright but look alright - will save them for special occasion when my son is around, as hes away now. I'm looking forward to tasting them now soon !!

If they have been kept upright for 11 years, there is a good chance that the cork has dried out and the champagne has gone off. Wine is kept on its side to keep the cork damp.

The kitchen press is not great anyway for long term wine storage as wine keeps best at a constant cool temperature ( 11-13 degrees)

11 years going constantly from warm to cold as heating goes on and off and through the seasons .

You should open them and see, it might be nice, it might not.

hey, thats my buddies dads champagne company, a guy working with me, french, his old man is mercier. i will ask him if its any good.....

Back