CGT for non-resident on residential property in Ireland

Curly Wurly

I live abroad and bought a new build in Ireland in 2020 for 405k cash.

It has been kept largely vacant except that we use it for around 40 nights per year as a holiday home, and it has proven handy to have a place to stay whenever an emergency arises that requires us to travel to Ireland at short notice.

The house is in an excellent location, is detached, BER A2, is 2000 sq ft., parking for four cars, and has a decent garden.

I had it valued today and if we sell it as is, with furniture, appliances etc., we would get approximately 580k.

My question is, since it is not my primary residence and I am not currently tax-resident in Ireland, how would tax be calculated on this?

Thank you,

Last edited:
33% of the taxable gain, with the taxable gain calculated taking account of deductible costs such as legal fees, stamp duty, estate agent fees, and any material enhancement of the property.

33% of the taxable gain, with the taxable gain calculated taking account of deductible costs such as legal fees, stamp duty, estate agent fees, and any material enhancement of the property.
If I had added custom fitted furniture, bespoke gates, security systems, and items like luxury curtains, and significant landscaping work (expensive trees and hedging), would these be deductible?

I would say “No, Yes, Yes, No, Yes”.
I concur, with the small additional comment that it would be acceptable to allocate a (reasonable and defensible) portion of the sale price to the high end furniture, which will achieve the same result by other means.

Back