CGT calculation on inherited Kerry Group Shares

kernel

In the early 80's my wife inherited a number of Kerry Co. Op Shares after the death of her father. She never encashed any of these shares and over the the years these shares were exchange for Kerry Group Shares after after Kerry were listed on the stock exchange. My wife has now decided to sell all here Kerry Group and enjoy the windfall. I understand my wife will have to pay CGT but its not clear how this CGT will be calculated by revenue. All calls to revenue have not provided a solution so any advice would be much appreciated.

The acquisition cost will be the value of the shares at the time she inherited. Depending on the circumstances this could be date of death or date of probate. Was there a will?

My wife owns both Kerry Group and Kerry Co. Op Shares. The shares automatically moved to family on death of father. At time of death Kerry Group have come to the market. Only Kerry Co. Op were evenly divided between 2 sons and and 2 daughters. A will only was made in relation to the farm which was left to eldest son

Depending on the No of shares involved you people may be sitting on quite large amount of money. What the tax implications might be is not something I can tell you, but you need proper advise on this.

Back