Ceramic or porcelain tiles

Iwishiwish

Hi all!
I'm in the process of buying a 2300sqft house that currently at 2nd fix finish so have a great deal of 'finishing' to organise.
We got I'm a highly recommended tiler to give us a quote for tiling 1 bathroom, 2 ensuites, a large hall and kitchen area and although he hasn't gotten back with quotes yet one thing he said has puzzeled me, basically he wouldn't use porcelain tiles in his own house as they are 'nightmare to keep'.

I was quite suprised at this because in every shop I've been in the porcelain tiles are at a minimum 4:1 ration with ceramic tiles...the range just isn't there with ceramics.

I understand that porcelain are harder to lay and obviously more expensive to lay but are ceramics better in general?
What are your experiences with porcelain vs ceramic vrs ceramic tiles?
All advice is welcome!
Thanks!

Hi Iwishiwish.

...always wear sunscreen and what else I know...

Firstly, I am in the business in the South West.
We are wholesale/retail and do supply and fit.
This is my meandering...

Porcelain is generally more expensive to buy & fit.
I don't care who the tiler is if he doesn't do what the customer wants then he is only going to be trouble in the long run.

My advice usually is tile the areas downstairs with porcelain, it is a much stronger tile than a ceramic tile.
Then when moving to the bathrooms find a tile you like and if it fits the budget whether it be porcelain or ceramic then go with it.
I don't understand the idea that it is considered more difficult to maintain porcelain.
(It is not my personal experience)

You are welcome I will reply on the thread if I have anything which I feel may be of assistance.

Good Luck.

Porcelain is shiny and therefore needs more work to maintain. That's why I went with ceramic. And why is ceramic less durable? Any ceramic tiles I've ever had have never suffered any damage, or even wear-and-tear.

Hi Satine,

Firstly, porcelain comes in Glazed, Polished & Matt finishes therefore not all porcelain tiles have a shiny surface.
However, my experience is that the breakdown of sales is 70% glazed/polished - 30% matt.
Again, it is not my experience that porcelain requires any more work to maintain (I have all mixtures in my house & "yes" I do my fair share ;0) ).

Porcelain is just a much stronger tile and in higher through-put areas such as halls and kitchens, I recommend it.
Then when moving to the bathrooms find a tile you like and if it fits the budget whether it be porcelain or ceramic then go with it.
The manufacturing process makes porcelain stronger.
Ceramic tile is generally just a terracotta base with a tile print imposed through the kiln/firing process.

You may never have an issue with ceramic tiles and hopefully you won't.

Again speaking from experience generally you will never see a cracked porcelain tile unless there are structural cracks in the building floor.
I have seen many issues with cracked ceramic tiles after something like a heavy saucepan/wok being dropped on them.
Granted this can be as much to do with the laying quality as the tile itself.

Note - I am not trying to push any one particular tile above another (although it may sound like it).
I am just trying to give my experiences and recommendations...

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Yes, I think that's fair.
But don't forget, your house insurance will cover any accidental damage to tiles.

Excess figure comes to mind and any claim you make will probably affect the renewal premium :D

...but I digress...

Thanks everyone. I had a feeling that it may have had more to do with the fact that they are difficult to lay then with anything else.
Thanks for the hint about the place in Kilkenny. I'll be checking it out!
The house I'm buying is on the s. Kildare/Carlow boarder...anyone know the going rates?

Back