Central heating Power Flush

sammya

I have issues with my heating system. Earlier 1 radiator was not heating up & now 2nd one gone down. I was recommended power flushing & got a few quotes varying from €300 - 600. This is for a 3bed house with 10 rads. Why is there a diff in this quote & what is the diff in the job. I asked a couple of people & the answer I got from a guy who gave a 600 quote was that he uses a machine & people who charge less dont. What is the actual diff.

You can only do a power flush with a machine.
The others are just draining the system, refilling with added chemicals for a few days/weeks, draining the system again and refilling as normal with water/inhibitor. In an attempt 'try and' dissolve the sludge. They 'may' also take off each radiator and run a hose through it outside. In any event you could run the chemicals through the system yourself, and even take off the radiators if you are in anyway handy.

http://www.home-maintenance.info/heating/radiator-sludge/

I find the difference in price usually relates to how they actually prepare and carry out the flush

A proper flush should be preceded with the system being drained and flushed with mains pressure and then a sludge/scale remover added to the freshly filled system, this should be allowed circulate (preferably with hot water) for at least a week, longer even better

Then on return, the system should be flushed with a flushing agent, again preferably with hot water, all circuits, rads and boiler, should receive an individual flush (all other items isolated) for a give period in both directions.

Once finished and checked the system is refilled (possibly neutralized if something like ds40 chemical is used) the a good dose of a reliable inhibitor should be added, and my preference is to also add a boiler silencer.

The system should then be tested for sufficient dosage of inhibitor, and labeled so this can be checked yearly on an ongoing basis.

But that is all just MHO, and you wont get it for 300euro!

Towger/DGBOS Thanks for your replies. Can you recommend someone who can do it in Maynooth area and what is the reasonable cost ?I got a quote from some plumbers & some of the equipments they mentioned are as Rocal Powerflusher, Clearflow, Ro Pro which one is good.

I would also be interested in a recommendation for this. I am not too far from Maynooth either.
I live in a very hard water area and wonder is this one of the causes ie limescale.
I now have a complete water filter system on the house so think this is the next step.
Could probably do with new energy efficient boiler too. Would the same person do this?

Sure, give this guy a call, Paul Nolan 087 8512876, I am sure he would do it, and is very good at flushing etc.
He's in Portlaoise but sure he would cover that far

Hi DGOBS, Thanks for the recommendation. Got in touch with Paul Nolan and he droped in the next day to assess whether the system needs a flush. He cleaned the filter in the boiler, released the airlock in the system, balanced, added inhibitor & everything seems to be working okay for the moment. No flushing required. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Is that Paul Nolan lad a plumber? Was he reasonable on price? I think I need the same thing as have problem on going with one rad, hard water area but have gotten a water softener in last yr. I'm not far from Maynooth either.

He only charged me the call out charge of €50.00 and he spent more than a hour working in the house & fexed the issue without the need for flushing. He works on the boilers & central heating system. He was very reasonable & worth giving a call. He lives in Portlarington. Try adding inhibitor & noise reducer.

Yeah, Paul is a good guy, and very reasonable and willing to help, so pleased you got on well with him

Seems like a good professional was found there. That is to be applauded. A lot of guys in all businesses will try and sell you something you don't need.

Price wise, we do flushes for €450 inc VAT, this also includes a boiler service and chemical inhibitor being added on completion, along with the system being balanced. Prices in Dublin are no doubt higher. I operate in Munster.

More offer than not a system won't need power flush so getting a good assessment is vital . As seen, sometimes a readjustment is only needed.

However, if you are getting a boiler replaced a flush of some description is a must.

Hi Davy, 450-500 seems a rough price around Dublin too as far as I can see

Yeah Paul is a true gent, known him well for years

Anyone know of someone providing this service in the Kilkenny area?
Leo

Hi,

Would also like to know of anyone who provides this service in the Carlow/Kilkenny area and what the charge might be?

Angela59

Hi Angela,

I didn't get any response, so I reached out to . Happy to report he did a great job for my parents who were very impressed with the service provided and the results.
Leo

Back