Cement board exterior.......anyone used it..?

galwaytt

OK, I've got two projects that I need to find an alternative to masonry for, but both are price-sensitive.

I can't use masonry, for outer leaf, and so want/need a cementitious board.

Preferably, I'm looking for a cement-board that will take a standard sand/cement based plaster (to tie in with other works), and not a monocouche or acrylic render. Besides, the monocouche/acrylic is too expensive, per m2, applied.

So, who's tried, what, and how did you get on, and where did you get it ?

All info gratefully received.

Aquapanel is the best, blue clad is 1/4 the price or you could use Fermacell exterior. Render board has to be detailed right to vent the rainscreen cavity. Nice crisp clean robust finish though, however difficult to finish as a dry dash, you have to use acrylic or calcium silicate renders. Lars petersons passive houses use this technique and have held up well.

When my house was built 10 years ago the builder used a type of "sharp flat sided" chicken wire type stuff over wood and plaster was applied over that. Don't know what it's called. It was used over bay windows and over conservatory/sunroom glass.

Aquapanel is the best, blue clad is 1/4 the price

Based on my pricing in the past blu clad + suitable render system was more like 3/4 the price of aquapanel system.

For the board themselves Aquapanel is €13.16 per m2 + vat, bluclad is €11.88 per m2 + vat.

And on closer comparison alot of the price difference was due to the fact that the Aquapanel system includes more e.g. the aquapanel includes a filler and mesh for the joints. The render system for the bluclad didn't. That was a Weber system.

Materials only on both.

Last edited:
I have Blueclad enroute for one job, Durapanel for another, and am looking to see what else is out there. Rendering and details is the issue with these, as this puts a lot on the bare board price.

There is a generic cementitious board, that does take std sand/cement render - saw it years ago, I think from the US - but having trouble trying to remember what it was called.............

The thing about the next 2 projects is the rafts are in, and there are no toes, so masonry, even priced right, just can't be done.

Slightly projecting eaves detail

Hello Galway,
I am thinking of using a cement board for a slightly projecting eaves detail in a new house. THe rafters will be almost flush with the wall and a board will be fixed to the end of the rafters, covered with a breathable membrane and steel mesh and rendered over.

The certifying eng has recommended marine ply for the board to cover rafters. I see you used cement board. How did it work out. would you recommend it. Are you able to get sharp corners with the metal mesh. Any other comments welcome,
Thanks,
Baltrasna

Back