CCTV specifications

Mamamia22

Hi a relative is looking for a low cost CCTV system. They would like a phone app to allow remote viewing. Cameras front and back. But they don’t leave their broadband on all the time. Broadband issues can arise in their area etc. They would also like around 2 weeks of HD colour images stored in case something happens on holiday. Any suggestions or idea of costs. I’m not sure about specs I should be looking for. Trying to help as they are elderly and living in a rural area.

Yes I had a look at those they look good. Any idea what price a 5 camera set up would be with recorder and phone app. What should he expect to pay. It’s a two storey house.

A phone app will require the broadband to be on by the way and a 5 camera system is a big set up so they need 5?

Yes I believe so. Front and back garden plus side entrance. Has anyone done this lately and any idea of cost to install.

I installed a swann system
4 camera colour hd
Wired cameras to a 1tb recording hd
Cloud storage via broadband (when available)
App for playback, live view, motion sensor activated

Simple system easy to install. Fairly basic but does the job and quality is pretty good.

It’s 8 channel so can install 4 more if needed.

I installed mine two years ago and did one for a friend a few weeks ago. DIY install

Cost me about 400 for system

Often an easy enough DIY job providing cables for wired external cameras can be routed back to the recording device easily enough. If there's no one available to take that on a day should cover 5 cameras, just note that when employing someone to carry out CCTV installs, they must be PSA registered or you're both breaking the law. You can find a list of all the registered contractors here.

In relation to the PRSA how important is it. A few registered guys are booked out for months. Non registered easier to get. Surely the set up is easy enough. My uncle would do it himself but fearful of heights at his age.

In relation to the PRSA how important is it. A few registered guys are booked out for months. Non registered easier to get. Surely the set up is easy enough. My uncle would do it himself but fearful of heights at his age.
Depends on your attitude to crime, you are committing a crime if you pay someone other than a registered contractor to install CCTV.

Is that correct ? Just by hanging cameras and connecting to a recorder ? I haven’t heard of any prosecutions for this ? A local man does this work just has a van but not a security Co. There are lots of farmers with cameras up self installed for watching yards and cows calving etc not aware of prosecutions.

Yes, it is correct. See here for the list of services that must be registered to work for remuneration under the PSA legislation. It's even an offence for someone to advertise as offering a covered service. There have been a number of operators convicted, I haven't heard of consumers being charged, but that is allowed for in the legislation with similar penalties available (fine up to €3,000 and/or 12 month prison on summary conviction.)

There are lots of farmers with cameras up self installed for watching yards and cows calving etc not aware of prosecutions.
As I said earlier, it is only an offence if you pay someone. DIY installs do not fall under the remit of the legislation.

Would be difficult to prove then. No receipt etc. Back to the tech. Would others recommend the colour night vision cameras. I think they have a built in LED light to enable colour viewing. They are more expensive.

Would be difficult to prove then. No receipt etc. Back to the tech. Would others recommend the colour night vision cameras. I think they have a built in LED light to enable colour viewing. They are more expensive.
Crime is often difficult to prove, that doesn't mean we should condone it or turn a blind eye.

Back