Cavan/Meath border

Snape

Thinking of buying a detached house in this area - (Virginia, Kilnaleck,Mullagh) Anyone have any opinions on it, is it a nice place? I will be commuting to Dublin, whats the usual time , say to get to Swords or Blanchardstown?

Virginia is a nice little town..Kilnaleck..I couldn't drive through fast enough and Mullagh has nothing at all in the way of services bar a pub and church! I used to live around this area do feel free to ask me for more info!
Re the commute it's all down to timing..you need to get to Dunshaughlin before 7.00am so you're looking at leaving (at the moment..there is the M3 further down the line) 6.15am or thereabouts.

Ballyjamesduff is a consideration, shercock might be a bit far, and ballinagh is too far i think.

Are they not all too far? It is at least an hour from Kells, Co. Meath to Blanchardstown in good traffic, much less going any further than this. Virginia is a nice enough town but the commute would be a killer every day - around 1.5 hours each way.

Ballyjamesduff is tied with Kinaleck for desirability..Ballinagh as you say is quite far and again lacks services though it is only 5 mins from Cavan town. I can't comment on Shercock. Virginia is your best bet!

I already spend an hour as it is going from Swords to Clondalkin. And I want a detached house rather than a dogbox for my 300,000 so Im being pushed away from ridiculous prices in Dublin for 2 beds with no parking.
1 1/2 hours wouldnt be too bad. I was expecting more than that tbh.

Thanks Gauloise, Ill look further into Virginia.

budapest said:
Are they not all too far? It is at least an hour from Kells, Co. Meath to Blanchardstown in good traffic, much less going any further than this. Virginia is a nice enough town but the commute would be a killer every day - around 1.5 hours each way.

I have to agree..we cracked after 6 years of commuting..sometimes 4 hours a day!

The Drumlins, Virginia, Co. Cavan is a new development and second phase is been launched at the moment. Show houses are opened at the weekend/ Virginia is a nice little town and it is about 1.5 hours commute to Blancherstown. Good luck

There must be a better option than commuting for 3-4 hours per day. What about south Louth on the train line e.g. Laytown/Bettystown or a smaller village in Louth/Westmeath?

Snape said:
I already spend an hour as it is going from Swords to Clondalkin. And I want a detached house rather than a dogbox for my 300,000 so Im being pushed away from ridiculous prices in Dublin for 2 beds with no parking.
See, this is what I dont get. What use are your extra rooms if you've to spend hours away from them each day? And I dont agree with the 'its for my kids' idea. IMO children need their parents around during the day a lot more than they need an extra play room.

I used to commute as a student from Louth which wasnt bad as it was less than an hour by train, and I only had a few lectures to attend. But watching people, having left home stupidly early to get a parking space in the train station, trying to catch a few minutes kip on the way up, and then seeing the same people, dead on their feet at 5.30 at Pearse everyday, I dont understand how people can live like that.

And the train is a lot better than having to face the gridlock on the M50. Which will only get worse. 10 years ago, people were aiming to be on the city outskirts for 8. Then 7.30. Now its 7.

And that's before you factor in likely very high petrol prices in 10 years time.

I dont care how small my home is, I think quality of life demands that you live somewhere closer to work.

And Cavan is miles away.

Ah yes, but we arent having kids, so no problem there, im the boss, so no pressure there either, and i want my space, and somewhere to safely lock up my car collection, thats why a crowded semi detached cul de sac wont do. And a big detached house with garage is way more bang for buck than the poorly built new house we are living in, that costs 500eu per month to rent a room in.

Well that makes more sense to me then, especially if you're your own boss.

On the geography, bear in mind, some of the local roads round Virginia, etc are pretty poor - journeys up that end of the county can take a lot longer than they should for the distance covered.

I spent some time travelling from Dublin to Kilnaleck/Ballyjamesduff in my last job. From the M50 at Blanchardstown to Virginia took me, on average, 75/80 minutes. I'd always aim to be at the toll bridge (live southside) at 8.00 and that would get me to Virgina for about 9.15-9.20. A fairly straight run all the way and doing the speed limit.

I noticed that the traffic was heavy from Dunsaughlin to the M50 most of the time...and could be heavy enough from Navan.

Personally I feel that while you maybe spending an hour in traffic each day at the moment...at least its stop/start traffic which isn't too taxing on the brain whereas driving a round trip of 130 miles a day is no joke.

IMO there is very little in the way of facilities in Virginia. In the last 4 years the area has exploded and according to the clients I dealt with a lot of the people buying are commuting to Dublin. They are gone from 6.30 till 8.00pm Monday to Friday.

Thanks for all the input, im taking everything into consideration, esp the road conditions, journey times etc. Any info at all on living in/commuting from this area is greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

currently commuting from Virginia to St Stephens Green.
6:30am Bus from Virginia on Green at 8:15-8:30.
Evening bus from Bus Aras at 6pm Virginia at 735-7:50.
Doing this for over a year now.
Love Virginia, not much in surrounding areas though.

Not much in Virginia either if its a "dormitory town" and everyone leaves for Dublin at 6.30am and gets back at 8.00pm (and that's without taking in a drink after work, or going to the cinema - which presumably would have to be in Dublin rather than Virginia? :( This is interesting to me as I've been looking at this area for retirement home but wanted to have access to the cultural and social life of Dublin for theatres, art galleries etc.

We are going to take a spin up that way on Thursday to have a look around. My gf might be putting in for a transfer to Drogheda, so that suits too.
We have been looking around on Dadt/myhome/nicemove etc, and there seem to be a few nice detached houses that seem suitable.
Job no.1 though is to see the place, then we will worry about houses.

Marie said:
Not much in Virginia either if its a "dormitory town" and everyone leaves for Dublin at 6.30am and gets back at 8.00pm (and that's without taking in a drink after work, or going to the cinema - which presumably would have to be in Dublin rather than Virginia? :( This is interesting to me as I've been looking at this area for retirement home but wanted to have access to the cultural and social life of Dublin for theatres, art galleries etc.
There is a cinema in Cavan town which is about 15 mins from Virginia , a theatre in Virginia (The Ramor Theatre) and many small galleries dotted about...so the area is not completely culturally challenged;)

Back