Cats fouling gardens

Setanta12

I've seen old threads on this, and all have bullet-proof suggestions (until the next poster posts a tale of woe on how that solution didn't work in their case). Are there any other suggestions, other than;

- Citrus(y) smelling Jeyes fluid on pathways - unsure how that would affect the stone

- Bottles of water scattered around the garden - cheapest and easiest solution; but does it work ?

- Fota Zoo - Lion doo-doo - Cannot see Dublin Zoo selling me some

- Pet shop - may have something similar to doo-doo !? Do they ? Is it common to all pet shops or only a select few ?

Are you sure it's not foxes fouling your garden, or dogs? Foxes don't care where they poop and it stinks. I've seen their deposits in the middle of my mother's driveway. Cats are very particular about their bathroom habits and bury their mess.

We are plaqued by local cats using our garden. For our veg plots, we have erected a chicken net fence, which works (tho make sure it's a good metre high, and not too rigid, or they will try and jump it!).

Otherwise, we keep a supply of missiles at the back door, and a high-powered water gun filled with dilute jeyes fluid; we have also started a policy to remove the poop asap and spray the surronding area (grass, stones, plants) with jeyes fluid, so that the smell will discourage them, and that seems to be working (ie fewer problems in recent weeks)

The long-term solution is probably to get a cat or dog of your own.

We also tried the €50 electronic gizmo that emits a high pitched tone, but they seemed to like the sound, so that was a waste of money!

Put citrus peel around the garden, particularly in beds where they like to go....keep it up for a little while and they should stop.

There's a 'cat scare' [broken link removed] on this site - not sure if it will work, but worth a try.

At least it's more humane that the high-powered water gun filled with diluted Jeyes Fluid! :rolleyes:

I use the garden hose and it certainly discourages them if they get a few squirts, but you do need to be there at the time. Lion doo-doo kept foreign / stray / neighbouring Kitties (my own cat died late last year) away and Mr. Fox and Fido didn't like it either. It has now rotted into the ground and i must renew it

I probably shouldn't mention this as @delgirl is listening but when you remove Kitty's doo-doo, sprinkle white pepper on the spot. Kitty doesn't like pepper. Please don't use chilli flakes or ground red or black pepper as they can cause severe damage to mucosa.

Back