Carer's Allowence

celticsteven

Hi folks looking for some information if possible. In 2009 i had an accident and was left with a very serious condition. My wife eventually had to give up her job in January 2010 to help look after me, as well as having 3 young children i have lost about 70-80% use of my legs.

We applied for Carers Allowence in the summer of 2010, we were not aware of this payment at the time, we don't know the social welfare payments scheme that well and entiltilments. Anyway we were refused as it was deemed i didn't need looking after, we appealed 3 times all in failure. I rang them and spoke to a lovely lady but there was nothing she could do. I don't know how they can refuse you without meeting you but they did, and i submitted numerous medical reports and evidence.

Now i'm just out of hospital again this week after 4 operations in 3 weeks on my legs and spinal cord for nerve treatment. I must also point out i've had 18 operations in 17 months. Things are deterioting steadly and am at wits end over finances. My wife can't work as i can't be left alone and our 3 young children i'm incapable of minding. I'm on very strong pain killers and a morphine pump implanted, also have 2 spinal cord stimulators implanted to help deal with chronic pain in my legs, i'm also falling into a deep depression over everything and my psychologist is starting to become concerned. As is my pain management team.

I have tried numerous times to return to work as my job is still there and fail each time, pain just becomes unbearable eventually, and i'm struggling to run my household on 402euro every week. My wife is entilted to nothing as her stamps has run out, i claim for her and my 3 babies.

Sorry for the long story, but i'm just wondering is there anything out there that can help us, we are really struggling.

Thanks Guys. Feel free to ask questions if it helps.

You should take a look at the citizens advice website, they outline everything your entitled to. Make sure your claiming everything. Also you could ask your CWO if he can help you with anything.

Also this accident - was your fault or someone else's?? Maybe your entitled to a claim? Im not into sueing people for a quick buck but if you've been genuinely left high and dry because of this then you need some compensation.

sorry to hear of your problems. my wife took carers leave unpaid from work last year when i developed cancer. we eventually got carers allowance, it incredibly took 6 months for the decision in december, diagnosed may 2010. i was very ill last year but am improving. you seem to be a lot physically worse than me so the system has failed you. you do seem medically a dead cert to qualify for carers allowance. it is means tested. what reasons for refusal were you given? it can be a brick wall dealing with the various departments. there are additional benefits you may apply for, maybe diet allowance, travelling expenses to hospital, clothing allowance, mobility allowance. we went to cwo last week. they are helpful with genuine cases.

Thanks for all the replies folks. To answer some questions, yes it was an accident and someone else was at fault, piab has accessed it and as there is too many injuries they told me to get a solicitor and go to court. God only knows how long personal injury cases are taking these days so it still could be years before we get to court.

Secondly we were refused as they said i was not bad enough to require care, which came as quite a shock as they have never met me. As i said i spoke to a lovely lady on the phone and she said i could appeal which i did 3 times.

I'm going to see my cwo tomorrow and see if she can help anyway but im not sure what you can ask for and to what degree they can help as its an on going issue.

I've done everything in my power to return to work but after 4 attempts i just break down and end up in hospital aggrevating things. I'm not finding anybody in Social Welfare offices very helpful, often have had the phone hung up on me or transferred around Ireland and back again, i would not be rude in any shape or form to them as they have a very tough job to do and i know that.

Citizens information have been very helpful but at the same time very vague. Alot of you may be entitled to this or you may not and maybe you could try this but maybe its not for you normally end up very confused and frustrated with the whole thing.

Also one new question i meant to ask, as ive sent in final certs and gone back to work and 4 weeks later break down again i always lose the first 3 days and its always a new claim. I've tried maybe 10 times to explain the reason i'm out of work is because of my accident a while back and i tried to go back to work, i get told it doesn't matter its a new claim, is this true.

Thanks again everyone will keep plugging away and let you know how i get on, its stress i really could do without as i concentrate on getting better and learning to cope with my disability. Life can be cruel at times.

Back