Carers allowance change of circumstances

coolatjc

Hi all,

Im currently in receipt of half rate carers allowance, my husband is umemployed and I have recently been offered a job.

I am going to take up the position but my husband will be taking over the caring of our child.

As I understand it the carers allowance should increase to full rate but will my husband have to make a new claim considering the current receipt of the benefit is in my name? Or is it a simple change of details and the payment continues under my husbands name with the increased amount?

Many Thanks for your help.

I would think that you husband will have to apply for carers allowance in his own right. You should contact Carers section and ask the best to do this.

Sorry to say it but unless this job is paying lots of money then don't take it. As many have said your husband will have to make a new claim, this could take 3 months to process, your doctors will have to give new reports and in the meantime the money you get will stop.

If you plan on getting fis you will have to wait nearly 5 months for a claim to be processed and during that time you will be just living on your wage, your husband will have his dole stopped so for nearly 4-5 months your income will have to support your family. It ain't worth it I'm afraid unless your income will be massive.

Back