Carer's allowance and work

JEON50

I have been on disability allowance since 2009, my wife is my carer, and receives the half rate allowance of Euro 102 per week. I am waiting on a decision on Invalidity Pension since October 2010.
My wife applied for a part job, 15 hours per week, with a local company in accounts. She call carry out most of her duties from home, due to technology.
MY Question, How much is she allowed earn per week gross / net, and keep her allowance. If she gets the job, is for 6 months only

How means are assessed

The means test for the Carer's Allowance involves assessing your income (excluding your home). Since April 2008, the amount of weekly income that is not taken into account is €332.50.

Can anybody know if the above figure is net or gross, that is before or after all deductions

The figure is gross pay less PRSI, union dues and travel expenses. The following is
from the Carer's Allowance operational guidelines.

The €332.50 figure is for a single carer (who is not living with another person), it's higher where the carer is one of a couple.

Where the claimant or spouse/civil partner/cohabitant have reckonable earnings the figure to be taken is the gross pay (i.e. including overtime, bonuses etc.)where the income of a carer and his/her spouse/civil partner/cohabitant is being assessed under the means test the first 665.00 of gross weekly income is disregarded i.e. is not taken into account.
In addition, where the income in question is earned as salary by the spouse/civil partner/cohabitant or from self employment the following are deducted:
  • amounts paid in respect of PRSI, union dues and travel expenses.

Back