career in travel/tourism

tomthumb

Daughter wondering whats the best way to develop a career in possibly travel agency/tourist industry. Notice a few colleges do FETAC Travel Tourism course with Gallileo reservations. Is this a necessary or helpful requirement or whats the best way to enter into this area anyone know please? Many thanks

I would have thought the whole travel agency business is in crisis wiith more and more people availing of the internet to book holidays! I know of a few travel agencies in my local region closing down over the last year as a result in the downturn in business. Maybe other areas of tourism would be more lucrative.

Yeah I was thinking the same, surely it's not the best industry to be entering.

thanks folks, was thinking that way too. Will try to divert her attention to a more far seeing course I think, thanks again

Well that may not be the best thing to do either - if she really is interested in travel/tourism, then by all means encourage it - its always better to work in an area you like. It is highly likely that Ireland's tourism sector will grow substantially over the next few decades - so if you can look at the career prospects of a job regarding attracting tourists to visit Ireland as opposed to sending Irish tourtists abroad; then the sector looks very healthy in the long run. The main 'safe' areas in Irish tourism (in my opinion) over the next few years would be marketing Ireland or regions (e.g. employed by a government/regional body) , specific tours and centers (e.g. interpative center at the cliffs of mohor), and accomadation (hotels not b&b's/guesthouses).

My cousin (she's 17) is going to college (depending on how the LC results go) to become an archeologist. My aunt spent ages trying to come up with alternative jobs with broader prospects and for a while had her daughter convinced - but not to long before sending in the CAO Form, she decided that she really really wanted to work in archeology. If your daughter really wants to work in travel/tourism - let her.

I would agree with encouraging someone to pursue something they are interested in as people put more effort into something they have an affininty with. However you could encourage her as suggested above to pursue other areas of tourism rather than the travel agency side. Get her to do some research into the areas of tourism where there are openings.

Back