Career Breaks for Civil servants

You're missing the point.............Its an efficient and humane way of getting people out.
Actually, I believe it's you that's missing the point.

From your posts, you accept that, in the public service, there are non-essential jobs or jobs that can be filled by one person where many do it now.

With all the benchmarking, "initiatives", studies and various other examinations, it is now being suggested that when people volunteer to take a 3 year (semi) paid leave, we'll see if their slot is essential or not...and then they'll come back into......a slot that hasn't been filled...or maybe their old slot ...that hasn't been filled either and we're paying them while they're out! It's not exactly a detailed logical method of root and branch identification of essential roles, is it?

You seem to be more interested in seeing public servants suffer than seeing the public sector streamlined.
I haven't suggested anything of the sort, but we've heard of streamlining the public service umpteen times before, with little or no effect - the opposite if anything. I believe that this "initiative", while on the face of it appearing good, will merely throw good money after bad and will end up paying people to take leave, where before they weren't paid.

A civil servant on the average industrial wage, €37,000 - you won't find too many of those! - would get 3 x €12,500 while they're out on this scheme = €37,500. Previous to this they'd get nothing.
You miss the point. Previous to this, they would probably stay in the job on full pay. So the relevant comparison on between the €12.5k and nothing, it is between the €12.5k and their full salary.

You miss the point. Previous to this, they would probably stay in the job on full pay. So the relevant comparison on between the €12.5k and nothing, it is between the €12.5k and their full salary.

?????

Prior to this they could take up to 5 years leave of absence on no pay. (I presume that this option is still available.) Now they can take up to 3 years on up to €12,500 pa. Which option would you choose? How is that saving money? Previously no pay, now paid.

Unless jobs are identified up front as being surplus to requirement (and other now vacant positions identified as essential), and jobs filled or scrapped accordingly, I reckon this will turn out to be yet another public service efficiency fiasco.

On the face of it, the "initiative" seems good, but as usual there are no specifics just vague aspirations and a carrot.

?????

Prior to this they could take up to 5 years leave of absence on no pay. (I presume that this option is still available.) Now they can take up to 3 years on up to 12,500 pa. Which option would you choose? How is that saving money? Previously no pay, now paid.

Unless jobs are identified up front as being surplus to requirement (and other now vacant positions identified as essential), and jobs filled or scrapped accordingly, I reckon this will turn out to be yet another public service efficiency fiasco.

On the face of it, the "initiative" seems good, but as usual there are no specifics just vague aspirations and a carrot.
You are ignoring (presumably deliberately) the fact that without the incentive, this person would not take a break at all and would stay no full salary.

You are ignoring (presumably deliberately) the fact that without the incentive, this person would not take a break at all and would stay no full salary.

No I'm not. Sure, it's a great incentive for people to take a sabbatical, however, up to now, a significant number of people have taken unpaid leave of absence for up to 5 years.

Presumably, without this incentive being on the table, significant numbers would still be applying for unpaid leave, however, with this on the table, nobody in their right mind in going to look for unpaid leave. Therefore we will now be paying people ito take leave which they would otherwise not have been paid for.

It'd be interesting to see how many public servants have taken leave of absence, trend this and compare with numbers applying for the new scheme. That would give an indication of how much temporary salary savings are being made. Frankly I don't believe that we will see any meaningful job savings resulting from this after three years.

PS I've just done a google search and, while I can't find figures for most Depts, there are, apparently, several thousand public servants on unpaid leave of absence. If we take a conservative 2,000 on unpaid leave annually, we will now be paying next year's 2,000 up to €25 million to take leave! The actual number on leave of absence is almost certainly very much higher than 2,000. Like I said look at the historical figure and compare.

MarathonMan

Without this incentive a lot of people, who would like to take a career break, won't because they can't afford to. With this incentive, some people will now be able to scrape by for three years and, while doing that,will also vacate their public service jobs for those three years saving the taxpayer money. Unpaid career breaks were popular over the past ten years or so because many women with children could afford to take them as their partners had safe, secure jobs. Also many people took them in order to travel because there was no problem picking up casual work abroad to support themselves. These conditions no longer exist, therefore the only way to encourage public servants to take career breaks is to offer them some element of financial support.

As I said before, it will also provide assistance in taking a strategic, long term look at what posts are and aren't essential.

You seem to think that this was a good idea when the private sector introduced it, but not when taxpayers money is involved. This doesn't make sense. It is a waste of taxpayers money to emulate an idea that worked well in the private sector and was widely approved of??????

As I said before, it will also provide assistance in taking a strategic, long term look at what posts are and aren't essential.
I see no evidence of any strategic examination of requirements. This appears to be a vague policy proposing to pay people to go and see if the gaps need to be filled. I've been through several downsizings, redundancies and layoffs. During these, strategic analyses were made of job requirements and then people were laid off, redeployed or other options like redundancy or early retirement was offered. In this case people are being offered an incentive before any analysis of job requirements is carried out. Also I wonder how long the public service unions are going to stay quiet about the "extra work our members are doing", filling in for those who take up the offer. ...and judging from the Q's on this and other fora, there is going to be a massive take up on this - like Benchmarking again!

You seem to think that this was a good idea when the private sector introduced it, but not when taxpayers money is involved.
I never said anything of the sort.

wrt other posters point on PTSB, that was a private entity before, with no taxpayers money going in. I think things would be different now. ...or should be - I don't think reality has hit home with the bankers yet!
The PTSB is one of the banks now guaranteed by the taxpayer, hardly a shining example!

It is a waste of taxpayers money to emulate an idea that worked well in the private sector and was widely approved of??????
I see no evidence that it worked well there.... and was widely approved where?? In the public service???

I see no evidence of any strategic examination of requirements. This appears to be a vague policy proposing to pay people to go and see if the gaps need to be filled. I've been through several downsizings, redundancies and layoffs. During these, strategic analyses were made of job requirements and then people were laid off, redeployed or other options like redundancy or early retirement was offered. In this case people are being offered an incentive before any analysis of job requirements is carried out. Also I wonder how long the public service unions are going to stay quiet about the "extra work our members are doing", filling in for those who take up the offer. ...and judging from the Q's on this and other fora, there is going to be a massive take up on this - like Benchmarking again!

I never said anything of the sort.
The PTSB is one of the banks now guaranteed by the taxpayer, hardly a shining example!

I see no evidence that it worked well there.... and was widely approved where?? In the public service???

I said it would assist in taking a long term strategic look at the fundamental changes required. In the meantime saving money.

I doubt very much that there will be a massive take up on this as most people won't be able to afford it as outlined in my last post. And I don't understand you comment 'like benchmarking again'. That just seems to be a generalised swipe at the public service, bearing no relation to the topic under discussion.

You also seem to have decided in advance that the unions will start kicking up about 'extra work'. Why don't you wait until there is some evidence of this.

Apologies re the PTSB remark. It wasn't you it was many other posters who, like me, think its a good idea. Its certainly better than just throwing people out on the street and making them draw the dole.

Meant to also add, Bord Snip have been reviewing Government Departments since January and have made various recommendations which I'm sure the various initiatives announced on Tues will feed into. The OECD also took a forensic look at the Irish Civil Service last year and produced a report which is also being taken on board. Therefore it is inaccurate to say there is no strategic thinking and planning going on.

Also, we have for years been covering for collegues on four day weeks, week on week off patterns, taking unpaid maternity and parental leave, termtime etc. While there is sometimes private grumbling over the extra work that gets dumped on remaining staff, there has been no formal complaints or union action, people have just got on with it.

....Bord Snip have been reviewing Government Departments.....have made various recommendations which I'm sure the various initiatives announced on Tues will feed into. The OECD also took a forensic look at the Irish Civil Service last year and produced a report which is also being taken on board. Therefore it is inaccurate to say there is no strategic thinking and planning going on.
I had meant wrt this initiative, but your point is valid. However there was no indication in the Budget speech, or the Annexes, that one would feed into the other. I would hope so, however I wait with bated breath to see is these dots will be joined up together. I have my doubts.

I stick by my inital post however. This initiative is offering up to €12,500 pa for taking leave, where, up to now, several thousand public servants have been on upaid leave each year. It follows that, unless it is intended that there is a huge increase in uptake, this is clearly a loss making proposal. On the individual level, one would be mad not to look at it and I have suggested that Mrs. MM look into it, but, having suggested it to her, I still think it's another one of those proposals that hasn't been thought through fully.

...we have ...been covering for collegues on ..... leave..etc. ..... there has been no formal complaints or union action, people have just got on with it.
OK, I accept that but, if the Government gets the response it needs (to meet its cash flow targets, allowing for the additional payments that will have to be made to those who would have taken unpaid leave anyway), then there will be significant coverage shortfalls requiring doubling/trebling up and I think that labour problems may arise then. However only time will tell.

There are no details with this scheme. We don't know what numbers are currently on unpaid leave - now there's a Dail Q. for someone - there are some (dated) figures available for some Depts available from Dail debates, but no overall figure. Without that as a baseline, it won't be possible to properly judge the effectiveness of the measure.

If there had been even the slightest inkling that this was feeding into/out of something like Bord Snips investigation - but there wasn't - then one could make a judgement. As I said this is an aspirational proposal, with no costings, no targets, no detail, but for someone previously contemplating unpaid leave, for whatever reason, it's a no-brainer - go for it!

The three year break (the limit of this incentive scheme) will be of little interest to many of those seeking the break for family reasons, who often look for and take the full five years. It will most likely be of interest to younger staff, who will use it as an opportunity to go travelling.

It does not even apply to the local authorities.

Given that they are 110 + such organisations - it is a pity that such a scheme does not cover the sector.

Back