Car rental - Child seat

Happy_Harry

Was looking to rent a car and got a good quote, until I realised I needed a car seat for the latest addition to the family..

3 days rental : 66 euros for the car, insurance and tax another 56 or so and 55(!) euros for the car seat... This looks somewhat high to me.. Are there are any rental companies who charge less for the carseat ? Rental is for Eindhoven (NL), I tried to get a few quotes, but some were somewhat vague about the cost of a car seat..

We ended up buying a spare seat (about €50-€60) and bringing it with us as checked baggage. It worked out cheaper over a couple of trips.

Mind you, that was in the old halcyon days before you had to pay for each bag!

AFAIK most airlines still allow passengers to bring child buggies and car seats for free.

AFAIK most airlines still allow passengers to bring child buggies and car seats for free.

Unfortunately I am flying Ryanair, and they take one piece of equipment (buggy) for free, additional car seat would be €10 each way. So I am not sure it would be worth the hassle of buying a spare seat, having said that I probably need to estimate how often we are going to do this..

Does anybody know if, once a toddler is no "Infant" (<2yrs) anymore, you can still bring infant equipment on board ?

Does anybody know if, once a toddler is no "Infant" (<2yrs) anymore, you can still bring infant equipment on board ?

We brought a buggy for our two and a half year old on a Ryanair flight last August and had no problems.

From http://ryanair.com/en/questions/checked-baggage-allowance
"Checked Baggage is any item accepted for carriage in the aircraft hold, including bags, infant equipment (baby seats/booster seats/travel cot), musical instruments and sports, equipment etc. (mobility equipment and children's' pushchairs are carried free of charge and do not need to be prebooked)."

This would seem to indicate that buggys will be carried free of chagre regardless of the age of the child since they say "children's" rather than "infant's" pushchairs.

In the past we've found the baby seats in rental companies to be quite poor. So have ended up going to the local car shop or similar and buying the cheapest seat there. Its usually cheaper than hiring a seat for a week. For 3 days its probably not worth it. Cheaper to bring one with you.

Please do arrange a child seat.....because in the netherlands they very strict...for taking babies with out their own seat...If you get checked then they wont let you drive ahead...until u arrange one and plus penalty fine....

Back