Car Prices

Re: Buying a car abroad

Doh, that seemed a bit obvious that site, or should have been to me!! Far play to ya good site

the vrt and vat bit must have changed since I imported a 2nd car from GB about 6 years ago. then the local vrt office ignored my receipt and used their own calculations before piling the This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language on. and they micro inspected the car for 'extras' just in case it wasnt the bog standard version. Maybe new cars have a different set of rules applied? I do know that garages in border areas did a roaring business ( and maybe still do) selling cars to Norn Iron buyers.

Did anyone get any quotes and comparisons yet ?

<bump>

Tonka

I am examining a number of options. I sent an email to the Ford dealership in the link provided in previous posts but got no reply. Another option I am looking at is a new commercial vehicle. Hyundai in Belgium responded to a fax of mine and I have to get back to them with some clarifications. If I go ahead with a puchase I'll post details as and when. Could be a while tho'.

An aquaintance of mine purchased a car in the UK about 2 months back. He got a second hand lexus for about 24k, reckons he saved 6-8 K.

Imperator

UK deals can be great. The Brits hate saloon shapes and prefer hatchbacks.

I remember getting a car for the oul fella years ago. The VW Jetta was the saloon version of the Golf. They depreciated at twice the rate of the hatchback Golf in the UK while they were arguably less likely to depreciate than a Golf over here. After 2 years the gap was huge. I therefore got him a 2 year old one , 1.9 diesel, 16k miles for £3.4k (early 90s) and even after the tax and stuff here he saved at least a third over Irish prices.

good info tonka, but i'm confused about the vrt bit, my reading of the revenue site is that you have to pay vrt on the open market value of the car here in ireland including vat, and not on the 7k receipt as in the case you quoted. I'm I picking you up incorrectly

Unregistered said:
good info tonka, but i'm confused about the vrt bit, my reading of the revenue site is that you have to pay vrt on the open market value of the car here in ireland including vat, and not on the 7k receipt as in the case you quoted. I'm I picking you up incorrectly

The receipt for a new car + exhibit A, the car, from a dealer in Belgium is the open market value from which the calculation is made.

unreg: yep.thats what they did to me. said the car was worth xxxx. checked that there was no extras in it. added vrt and then added vat to the total. still had a 5 year old car on the road for £3,000 insurance included. it flew through a nct in mar 2002 when it was 12 years old. Dont have it any more but I do see it around.

"checked that there was no extras in it"

A bog standard Belgian Fiesta should be the same as a bog standard Irish Fiesta and therefore they will accept the receipt from there . They will check that the trim level is what you state it is , eg that you dont buy the Superb variant with electric everything and claim its a Basic Variant without central locking and electric windows and stuff .

As long as it IS what you say it is they will accept the receipt you present to them and maybe ask you to show how you paid for it such as an IBAN transfer on your Irish bank statement for the same amount .

It was my understanding from this site that the Open Market Selling Price [highlight]in this state[/highlight] was the figure on which the Vehicle Registration Office based their estimate, and not on the price paid in the purchasing country. Is this correct?

I fear Tonga has been misinformed, and should check the facts before making a big mistake, and misinform other people.
A non-resident of ireland can buy a car in ireland, and not pay a penny in VRT or VAT, so long as they leave with the car immediatley. Brits were buying their cars here & paying their taxes in the UK, therefore getting cheaper cars. This was due to irish car prices being subsidised by the manufacturers because of high irish taxes (to stimulate sales). We can also do the same ie. go to another EU country, buy a car there not paying VRT or VAT, but you will pay a higher price for that car than irish dealers get them for (ex.VRT, VAT). You would then have to pay the FULL VRT & VAT on landing the car in ireland. So no you will not save money doing this, in fact you might loose money. Now if the car was six months old, you would not have to pay VAT, so it could be worth it then, but then who buys a RHD in Belgium. With the new market rules, the net price difference may not be so big, but irish cars sometimes have a lower spec than their european equilivent.
If you really could save 25% doing what tonga described, dont you think everyone would be doing it? I would like if Tonga can prove me wrong though...

didnt think the revenue took the price paid (€7000) as the guidline before vrt. thought they had their 'own' valuation unto which they added the vrt and vat.

Bottom line, if your living in the state and want to buy a new RHD car from another EU country , it will work out more expensive.
If i remember correctly Eddie Hobbs programme last year "Rip off Republic" gave an example of bringing in a new Focus from N.I. which worked out more expensive than R.O.I. garage prices.

The Government have all the loop holes closed!

If your going to work for longer than 6 months outside the state, i'd recommend buying a car (even second hand UK car) and drive it in the country your living in for that period, and when its time to come home, there's no VRT or VAT (if the car is over 6 months old)

hey henny penny what kind of porsche are you trying to sell ,i buy and sell alot of old porsches,jonathan

Back