Car parked outside our house for the last 3 months

suzyann

Neighbours across the road from our house have parked their car to teh side of our house (public road) in the housing estate. The car is broken - we were ok with this initially but nothing has been done about it - it is still there after 3 months . They have a new car now in their own drive way. I have spoke to them about moving it and putting it either on their side of the road or in their driveway but nothing has been done. It looks to be a northern reg car... there is no tax /insurance disc visible . Is there anything that can be done to move the car ?

Thanks

As far as I know if a motor vehicle is not insured it cannot be left on a public road.

Not sure how this applies to northern reg cars.

Contact the Gardaí, whose job this is.

thanks - I'll contact the owners one last time before following up with the gardai and local council

We had a car outside with no tax/insurance for several months, maybe a year actually and it never moved, tyres all flat etc. I called the Gardai and they had it taken away quite promptly without any fuss.

If the reg plates **presumably** unfortunately fall off.. and the car is reported it will definitley be removed from the road :)

This deals with the three items raised above:

• No Motor Insurance and registered in Ireland
  • No Motor Insurance and registered outside Ireland
  • No Motor Tax

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...ring_1/driving_offences/driving_offences.html

Motor tax and insurance

Motorists in Ireland are obliged to display evidence that they have paid their motor tax and have current motor insurance on the windscreen of their vehicles. If a vehicle is found by the Gardaí not to have a current motor insurance policy they have the power to impound the vehicle until such time as an insurance certificate is produced by the owner which insures the use of the vehicle. The owner of the vehicle will be liable to all charges or costs incurred by the Gardaí in the removal and storage of the vehicle. The Road Traffic Act 2006 extended this power to include the power to impound vehicles registered outside of Ireland.

Similarly, the Gardaí are empowered to impound any vehicle which has not been taxed for a period of two months or more. In reality this means that if you are stopped by the Gardaí while driving a vehicle and the road tax for that vehicle is out of date by two months or more, the Gardaí can seize that vehicle and impound it until such time as the owner can show proof that the motor tax has been paid for that vehicle to include the date on which it was impounded (i.e. paying the arrears due on the vehicle). Again, the owner of the vehicle will be liable for all charges and costs incurred by the Gardaí in the removal and storage of the vehicle.

Similar suituation 2 years ago in our housing estate. spoke to the owners but no joy. Contacted Gardai one night out of sheer frustration and said the car was becoming a meeting point for local kids.
Gardai called next day, looked at car and 3 days later car was towed away.
Sorted.

Back