Car Insurance shop around

Shamo

Just got my renewal quote €556 - from a company I was with for several years (it has numbers in the name), I rang and went online with about 3 other companies, surprisingly they all rang me back within a few hours. Finally I bought insurance for €303, there seems to be a lot of competition at the moment, I will never let any insurance policy roll over again.

123.ie presumably. I was with them for a while too and there is nothing I can say that is good. Non-issue of cert and disc, bills for premiums already paid, incorrect details on insurance (reg for car I had disposed of years earlier), etc. Nothing good.

My initial reaction was "this is a bit steep" but only expected about €40 off after shopping around - they offered €40 off and said there was a lot of claims, my response was "so I am paying for other people's crashes" that is the way it works they said. Flabbergasted I mentioned this to my pharmacist (a profession partial to a bit of profit) she said it was too much. It is sad to think that you have to think everyone is trying to rip you off in Ireland and what is more the Gardaí are acting as agents for insurance companies by giving out points and pushing up insurance rates. It is a bit much that we pay for Gardaí salaries as fine (tax) collectors and the inflated insurances rates are going out of the country. If you leave your licence at home the govt gets €80 and the multinational insurance companies get €120 over 3 years. Lots of lobbying from multinationals has lead to this sorry state of affairs. Gardaí should be used to prevent crime not invent it.

My initial reaction was "this is a bit steep" but only expected about €40 off after shopping around - they offered €40 off and said there was a lot of claims, my response was "so I am paying for other people's crashes" that is the way it works they said. Flabbergasted I mentioned this to my pharmacist (a profession partial to a bit of profit) she said it was too much. It is sad to think that you have to think everyone is trying to rip you off in Ireland and what is more the Gardaí are acting as agents for insurance companies by giving out points and pushing up insurance rates. It is a bit much that we pay for Gardaí salaries as fine (tax) collectors and the inflated insurances rates are going out of the country. If you leave your licence at home the govt gets €80 and the multinational insurance companies get €120 over 3 years. Lots of lobbying from multinationals has lead to this sorry state of affairs. Gardaí should be used to prevent crime not invent it.

Welcome to the site Shamo.
123 are entitled to quote you whatever premium they deem fit, but you're entitled to go to a different provider which you have done, well done. Would it be the Gardai's fault if Brown Thomas charged you X more than Lidl for an electrical item? No, as BT can charge you what they want - its up to you to pay for it or not. Gardai implement the law, penalty points are in place to reduce road deaths (and have been relatively successful at doing so). Not sure how an insurer would get €120 for you leaving your licence at home?? You'll find most commentators on this site deal in facts not conspiracy, but again good work with the reduction in premium!

Back