Car insurance company refuses renewal

Gigidvn

Hi. I have been with my current insurer RSA ever since taking my policy out with Tesco Insurance in 2011. When Tesco stopped providing cover a few years back RSA continued to provide cover and issue renewals. In 2014 I had an accident where I was at fault. Personal injury claim against me. Settled for 63k last year. Insurance wrote to me this week to say that the product they insured me under is no longer available and that they will not be renewing my insurance. They also then issued me a cert of No Claims with 0 yrs claim free driving.

I have a few questions.

1. As the accident happened in 2014 and I have 2 yrs accident free driving since shouldn't my No Claims be 2 years? Surely the settlement last year was based on the insurance cover from 2014?

2. Is it against the law for them not to insure me?

3. Most places have assumptions on their insurance that you have been claim free for 5 years. This means I am being refused a quote. Do any insurance companies quote people who had a claim. Surely a lot of people have accidents and get insurance somewhere. Im getting nowhere.

I would appreciate any advice as I am at my wits end here!!!!

Regarding item 1. It seems likely insurers stopped NCD only this year following settlement. You can check this out with them directly. You are obliged to have insurance but an insurer may decline to offer a quote. When this occurs, you may approach 3 insurers and obtain a refusal in writing, then approach the 'Declined Cases Committee' who will obtain a quote. You may check out your rights and neccessary procedures involved regarding motor insurance at:http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e.../motor_tax_and_insurance/motor_insurance.html

Your current insurer MUST offer Third Party terms.

Was your NCB stopped at the first renewal after the accident? It should have been.

Back