Car insurance and NCT test date

emeralds

NCT is due on 26th December 2021 but next available date is early March 2022. Have booked and paid for this and have confirmation of this. Do I need to inform my insurance company? (Think I will double check with them but just thought to ask here also).

NCT is due on 26th December 2021 but next available date is early March 2022. Have booked and paid for this and have confirmation of this. Do I need to inform my insurance company? (Think I will double check with them but just thought to ask here also).
Check the website just after 11pm each night and you will get a slot within a few days. It’s when all the cancellations go up on the system.

My test is due next week. The earliest date that I can get in Deansgrange is the end of March 2022.

It states on their website that it is my responsibility to ensure that my vehicle holds a valid NCT test at all times. How can I do this?

Ten weeks seems very long to have to wait for an NCT test.

Search other test-sites for available dates and times. It isn't reasonable that you should only use your "local' NCT site for checking for available dates.

My test is due next week. The earliest date that I can get in Deansgrange is the end of March 2022.

It states on their website that it is my responsibility to ensure that my vehicle holds a valid NCT test at all times. How can I do this?

Ten weeks seems very long to have to wait for an NCT test.

Call them.they might be able too fit you in.

Search other test-sites for available dates and times. It isn't reasonable that you should only use your "local' NCT site for checking for available dates.
I didn't only search my local testing area. All Dublin areas were the same. I could get Naas a week earlier though.

Check the nct site around 11 pm when they update the site for cancellations etc. I did this a few months ago and got an appointment within a few days

Check the nct site around 11 pm when they update the site for cancellations etc. I did this a few months ago and got an appointment within a few days
Worked for me too. There's always cancellations popping up. It might be Sunday morning 50 miles away but, hey, if you need it, you need it.

Has your NCT already expired or is expiring within days? It's an automatic 3 penalty point offence to drive without a valid cert and long wait times for the test are nothing new.

It also isn't reasonable to be expected to travel significant distance, at personal expense (both personal time, and car running costs), just because a couple of the test centres won't provide sufficient testing facilities.

On the assumption that circa 35% of the population live in Dublin, and there's probably another 15%-30% in neighbouring counties, there should be more NCT testing facilties in Dublin and the surrounding counties.

I tried to get a slot yesterday - about 7 weeks ahead of my due date, and could get nothing in Dublin, until well into March. That's not good enough!

There is much about the law (and motoring law in particular) that's unreasonable and not good enough. But it's still the law. You have the choice:

1. Compliant option: get an appointment (possibly a cancellation elsewhere)

2. Defiant option: If stopped by a Guard, tell them it's unreasonable and you have no intention of complying. Repeat same to judge and say you won't be paying any fine. Repeat same to prison officer in due course.

3. Low risk option: Book your March appointment and print out your confirmation. Also print out a screen grab showing no earlier appointment available. If stopped by a Guard, show your printouts apologetically and say that was the best you could do. If your due date is seven weeks away, that brings you to end Feb and there's only a small gap. Guard is quite unlikely to do you for that.

Get on the phone and politely complain to them.

I'm going to do the same....

If your vehicle is in unroadworthy condition, whether it’s nct’d or not, your responsible, If I applied for a test and my car was in good working order, and the next available test was well outside my expired date, I would have no concerns about continuing to use the vehicle in the waiting period with confidence.

An element of cop-on on all sides is needed.

People plan and book months in advance for a holiday yet having to book a few weeks in advance for a test they know is due months or years in advance is unacceptable???

People plan and book months in advance for a holiday yet having to book a few weeks in advance for a test they know is due months or years in advance is unacceptable???
It isn't a few weeks though. Next Dublin appointments, other than waiting for a random cancellation, are showing late March.

Mine was due in the first few days of January, and they sent me a letter with an exemption. I don't have to do it until the 18th of may now. The letter even says my nct is now valid until then.
I didn't ask that letter just arrived in the post mid-December.

Did they not send you a letter or email like that?
The letter is in my car, so not 100% what it says, but the jist was everyone got an extension who was due a test between X and Y.
I had not booked a test or rang anyone. The letter arrived out of the blue.

If you didn't get a letter. You cant drive without an NCT unless it is to go to a test Centre. The law and guards are very clear about that.

It's all relative Leo - people don't plan months in advance to renew their TV licence, change their car insurance etc either.

As correctly pointed out above, by odyssey06, we're not talking about a mere few weeks here, either.

Finally, I haven't even been receiving notifications to get my NCT renewed. The only communication that I've received in recent years, was with regards to the four month extension that was approved admit 16-18 months ago, given the impact of the pendemic on the testing centres.

Back