Car impounded by gardai can I cancel insurance?

wednesday woes

As title suggests, car has been impounded by gardai, they won't return it until their investigations are complete, no idea when that will be. Can I cancel or put a hold on my car insurance since I cannot drive it? Thanks

You can suspend or cancel by returning the certificate and disc, however if there were any claims on the policy in the current period of insurance or may be as a result of the reason it was impounded there will be no refund. If the policy is in the first year with your current insurer any refund will be much reduced.

You can suspend or cancel by returning the certificate and disc, however if there were any claims on the policy in the current period of insurance or may be as a result of the reason it was impounded there will be no refund. If the policy is in the first year with your current insurer any refund will be much reduced.
Thanks so much

Can I cancel or put a hold on my car insurance since I cannot drive it?
You can usually transfer the insurance to another car “a temporary substitution” for a few weeks at no extra cost if the vehicle is not more valuable than your own.

Might be useful if you are borrowing someone else’s car or renting one.

Back